Innovative marine APS stand leveling/ gap between tank question

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up new innovative marine 75int tank on APS stand. I am really impressed by the tank and stand, however I am stumped with something-
Tank is empty and shows to be level. Stand was level too. I noticed that there is a visible gap between the tank and stand on back right and left corners. I was going to contact innovative marine but wanted to see if anybody out there had an idea on how to fix this. I appreciate it.

IMG_3394.jpeg IMG_3393.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. About 2-3mm on each side. I’m at a loss of what to do. Maybe the center brace in back is too long or I put it in wrong somehow. Beyond that, I have no idea.
If you can remove the tank I'd run the level across it (both ways) to see if there are any deviations or bulges in the stand.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the tank I'd run the level across it (both ways) to see if there are any deviations or bulges in the stand.
Thank you-I’ll do that. I tried loosening the connectors to see if anything would fall into place, and verified back brace was ok. It has to be a bulge or deviation in the middle.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thin layer of foam under the tank no? Looks like it’s just missing on the edge. No biggie if so.
The foam is present all over the tank bottom. Very nice build quality. Wouldn’t having those gaps stress tank and set me up for a disaster?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foam is present all over the tank bottom. Very nice build quality. Wouldn’t having those gaps stress tank and set me up for a disaster?
That's what it looked like to me. Yeah, it certainly could based on the size of that gap. I had two IM Fusion tanks on a custom plywood/laminate stand and while they stuck out a bit from the back there was zero flex or gaps prior to adding water.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Interested to see what IM says.

Is there a hard top between the stand the tank? Could that be the culprit?
The hard top is about 1/4” hard foam board. If you push it with your thumb you can feel it flex. I don’t see how it could have any relation to gap. I would not think slats on frame would be an issue. I think blaxsun could be on to something with the frame pieces.
I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this. Hopefully IM can solve this. I have always liked their customer service.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the foam is not the culprit(sorry, had a hard time seeing detail in your picture) take the tank off and run a 4 foot level over the top of the stand. It will quickly point out where the issue is. You will be able to see where the bow or high/low points are in the stand. Sounds like one of the center uprights isn’t fully locked in, causing a high spot in the middle of the stand. Or one of the cross braces is sticking up somehow? It should be pretty easy to see with that gap. If not, measure all the vertical pieces. They should all be the same length.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the foam is not the culprit(sorry, had a hard time seeing detail in your picture) take the tank off and run a 4 foot level over the top of the stand. It will quickly point out where the issue is. You will be able to see where the bow or high/low points are in the stand. Sounds like one of the center uprights isn’t fully locked in, causing a high spot in the middle of the stand. Or one of the cross braces is sticking up somehow? It should be pretty easy to see with that gap. If not, measure all the vertical pieces. They should all be the same length.
It does seem that back left vertical piece is @ 1/8” taller, which is strange, since that is where biggest gap is. Will take tank off tomorrow and see what else I can see is off.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Send pics to IM and get their take in on it. They respond quickly and will tell you what to do. I just installed my stand and must say the directions suck but the quality is really good. I have the 50g INT and can’t wait to get it going. IM has come a long way with the quality since the earlier curved glass tanks.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up their stands I turn it upside down on a flat surface and tighten the top pieces then flip upright and finish the tightening.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent video and pics to IM. They said that once I fill tank up it will self level. It still concerns me, so I think I will take of tank, use a level, and see what I see.
Does anybody here think that is sound advice-to fill up tank and see what happens?

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that would prob be ok but agree with you to take tank off and investigate further to be on safe side.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent video and pics to IM. They said that once I fill tank up it will self level. It still concerns me, so I think I will take of tank, use a level, and see what I see.
Does anybody here think that is sound advice-to fill up tank and see what happens?
Take the tank off. Flip the stand over on a flat surface. Loosen all the leg fittings. Get the top to lay perfectly flat then tighten the fittings. Flip upright and see if the tank sits flat.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Thank you!
Take the tank off. Flip the stand over on a flat surface. Loosen all the leg fittings. Get the top to lay perfectly flat then tighten the fittings. Flip upright and see if the tank sits flat.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back