Innovative Marine Aqua Shield 11W

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I am trying to figure out if my UV sterilizer is efficiently working in my IM 30 AIO tank. My initial purchase was to combat Dino's and I feel like it didn't have much of an impact. I am starting to think that I will do better with an additional piece of filter floss.

Does anyone have an input? It's been running for roughly a year, maybe a new bulb is needed? Should I ditch it? Get a better one?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one for my IM AIO 20 gallon; can’t recall whether it is 9 or 11W. I’m like you, I’m having a hard time deciding whether it’s doing anything. My tank still has the uglies. Maybe even worse. And it makes me reluctant to dose with bottled bacteria, which would probably be helpful, but I don’t want the sterilizer to just ‘zap it’ and make it useless.

I have a Pentair 40W sterilizer in my 150 gallon tank, and I do think that is beneficial. But this thing?... more of a toy, I think. It reminds me of the old “Betty Crocker Eazy Bake Oven” with it’s lightbulb— compared to the real oven in my mom’s kitchen. Lol. :)

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one for my IM AIO 20 gallon; can’t recall whether it is 9 or 11W. I’m like you, I’m having a hard time deciding whether it’s doing anything. My tank still has the uglies. Maybe even worse. And it makes me reluctant to dose with bottled bacteria, which would probably be helpful, but I don’t want the sterilizer to just ‘zap it’ and make it useless.

I have a Pentair 40W sterilizer in my 150 gallon tank, and I do think that is beneficial. But this thing?... more of a toy, I think. It reminds me of the old “Betty Crocker Eazy Bake Oven” with it’s lightbulb— compared to the real oven in my mom’s kitchen. Lol. :)
I just installed my back up and tossed the old one.. I'll be following up in this thread with any findings. If nothing I'm the next week or two I'll sell it and just add back second tray and maybe carbon reactor

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM10,IM20p and a IM50 lagoon, I have IMs UV sterilizers for all 3(so 2 sterilizers as the same one fits in the 10 and 20). I bought the first one when I had dinos in the 20. It worked and killed the dinos. Now all they do is sit in the box just in case I need them.
To me they're like a gun-better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back