OP
T

Texfisher33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WiFi is rather spotty where I want to install all equipment for the tank. We decided to order a mesh router system and installed it tonight. Went with the Eero that we found on sale. My walls must be built to shield radiation. Signal is much better but still a little finicky.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
T

Texfisher33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...After all that I had to completely adjust how the tank would be installed. I am stuck on the idea of being able to run all the cords out the back into the garage so the location is staying the same. This is what I wound up with for now.

Attachments

• IMG_3591.JPEG
    IMG_3591.JPEG
    143.5 KB · Views: 81

randomnerd865

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you. My old tank never did the same after breaking it down and moving so i picked up a new Innovative Marine nuvo 40. I think you will really like the tank. You were right about her being artistic. That is some impressive rock work! Any updates?

OP
OP
T

Texfisher33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you. My old tank never did the same after breaking it down and moving so i picked up a new Innovative Marine nuvo 40. I think you will really like the tank. You were right about her being artistic. That is some impressive rock work! Any updates?
Thank you. I have enjoyed others' IM tanks. I'm mostly happy with it. The "leveling mat" wasn't evenly secured to the bottom. I assumed that it would eventually press itself tight against the glass but I still have a bit of a "bare spot" that stands out towards the front of my tank. Another downside of bare bottom.

We filled it with water (November 15th?) and started a cycle using Brightwell Aquatics dry rock cycle kit. We only dosed about 75% of the called for ammonia. I held the temperature at 83 deg f and kept the salinity at about 1.018 to try to boost the bacterial growth. November 23rd I added some rubble from an existing tank. Still had high ammonia on November 28th with no nitrate so I decided to add some additional bacteria from the LFS. Not sure if it was coincidence or not but by December 1st I had nearly 0 ammonia and 100+ nitrates. Did a couple small water changes throughout with a large one on December 11th. Nitrates holding at 5ish currently.

Still having issues with the noise level of the Icecap gyre 2k's. The last recommendation from Coralvue was to grease them up. I have not tried this yet.
IMG_4442.jpeg

Here's a quick shot from the couch. We haven't been running the lights yet to try to avoid some of the ugly stage. Turned them on last night at about 15% for an hour for our enjoyment.

OP
OP
T

Texfisher33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We turned the lights on the a replicated AB+ schedule. We now have a small hippo tang, a pair of Davinvi clowns and a pair of cleaner shrimp. I still think shrimp are one of the neatest things you can have in a tank. I've only been testing nitrates up to this point and they are holding right around 5. I still need to get my DOS hooked up for AWC's as well as the auto top off. I need to cut and splice the wires on the ATO to get the controller run out to the garage.

It isn't exactly how i had planned it all but it will suffice for now. I like being able to easily see it from the couch and the peace of mind that comes from having it on brick and away from my hardwood floors.

We have family coming over for the week and i'm looking forward to the young ones getting to watch the fish swim around in th evenings.

OP
OP
T

Texfisher33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been cooking in the tank. The rock is being covered in algae but "Smokey" the hippo tang has been keeping it trimmed. I added a small piece of Favia that looked pretty rough the first few days after the aggressive Peroxide dip but has turned around and appears to actually be growing some. The snail shells have all deepened in color looking like the coralline is growing. None on the rock yet though.

Sadly, the AWC and ATO have yet to be installed.

I'm still working out the proper levels and flow. Somehow, i'm getting air bubbles in my tank. They don't appear to be coming out of my return pump as they are in the bottom of the tank as well; powerheads are all fully submerged.

My pH was always 7.8-7.9 in my previous tanks. This one, with the growth of the algae i assume, fluctuates from 8.3-8.7. I haven't added anything to boost pH so i'm letting it ride and fish and Favia seem to be happy. I need to take a couple new photos and post soon. Thanks for following! Happy New Year!

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have enjoyed others' IM tanks. I'm mostly happy with it. The "leveling mat" wasn't evenly secured to the bottom. I assumed that it would eventually press itself tight against the glass but I still have a bit of a "bare spot" that stands out towards the front of my tank. Another downside of bare bottom.

We filled it with water (November 15th?) and started a cycle using Brightwell Aquatics dry rock cycle kit. We only dosed about 75% of the called for ammonia. I held the temperature at 83 deg f and kept the salinity at about 1.018 to try to boost the bacterial growth. November 23rd I added some rubble from an existing tank. Still had high ammonia on November 28th with no nitrate so I decided to add some additional bacteria from the LFS. Not sure if it was coincidence or not but by December 1st I had nearly 0 ammonia and 100+ nitrates. Did a couple small water changes throughout with a large one on December 11th. Nitrates holding at 5ish currently.

Still having issues with the noise level of the Icecap gyre 2k's. The last recommendation from Coralvue was to grease them up. I have not tried this yet.
IMG_4442.jpeg

Here's a quick shot from the couch. We haven't been running the lights yet to try to avoid some of the ugly stage. Turned them on last night at about 15% for an hour for our enjoyment.
Looking awesome!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back