Innovative marine int overflow setup

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my innovative marine 50 int. My main drain has a full siphon and is silent. But anytime any water flows down the secondary drain its pretty noisy. I do have a ball valve on it and its fully open. Any way I can get it to where its silent like the main drain?

20210106_064145~2.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the water level a little so it doesn't trickle down the line?

It's supposed to be noisy, that way you know water is flowing down the EMERGENCY, and you have an emergency.

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the water level a little so it doesn't trickle down the line?

It's supposed to be noisy, that way you know water is flowing down the EMERGENCY, and you have an emergency.
My emergency is the pipe at the bottom of the picture. After some research it seems that a little water should flow down the secondary drain and the establishes the height in the overflow. When I try to adjust it a touch lower, its always too much and the water is trickling down the overflow

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve or ball valve?

If your using a gate valve(it should be a gate), just a 1/8 of a turn will impact water level quite a bit. You only need to "bump" the valve to lower the water a bit.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only adjust the gate valve, and a very tiny bit just to lower the water level so it's like an 1/16" below the top of the emergency. This will lower the noise, and still allow for a little trickle down the emergency with level fluctuations from pumps and PH's.

There should be NO valve on the emergency. It should just be a straight pipe into the sump.

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there a valve on the emergency?
Ok I'm confused. I have 3 drain pipes. I was under the impression one was main drain/full siphon. The next higher pipe in the overflow was secondary drain. Last highest pipe is emergency. Is this wrong and both high pipes are emergency drains. I'm looking at this as you would a bean animal. Second drain is durso?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main is the only one you need to control. The 2nd and 3rd just go into the sump. If you have a gate valve on the main you should have no issue dialing the flow to silent in under 2 min

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main is the only one you need to control. The 2nd and 3rd just go into the sump. If you have a gate valve on the main you should have no issue dialing the flow to silent in under 2 min
This is the same instructions in the manual. My water just barely flows over the secondary drain line and is silent.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once dialed in the water will or should sit just below the 2nd drain. If it goes into it you will hear it but it’s not loud gurgling. Just enough to alert you that your water level is a lil high.
3CBBD5C6-92C4-4525-8F8F-902ABB2D2209.jpeg
F4E6A37F-36F7-4DDF-8675-54DF032ED6E0.jpeg

I’m not home right now so these are only what I have from a month or two ago. You can see my water line in the overflow. I keep it just under the 2nd drain. It slows my system to be quieter when my COR shuts down for feed. Always a couple minutes of leveling adjustment when it kicks back up and this keeps it quieter

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once dialed in the water will or should sit just below the 2nd drain. If it goes into it you will hear it but it’s not loud gurgling. Just enough to alert you that your water level is a lil high.
3CBBD5C6-92C4-4525-8F8F-902ABB2D2209.jpeg
F4E6A37F-36F7-4DDF-8675-54DF032ED6E0.jpeg

I’m not home right now so these are only what I have from a month or two ago. You can see my water line in the overflow. I keep it just under the 2nd drain. It slows my system to be quieter when my COR shuts down for feed. Always a couple minutes of leveling adjustment when it kicks back up and this keeps it quieter
Ok thanks. This makes sense. I had a reef tank a few years ago and just went off of memory. I had a reef synergy bean animal overflow and put a gate valve on the main drain and a ball valve on the secondary. Not sure why I did that. Looking back at the brs videos I followed they didn't. And for some reason I remember messing around with that ball valve. But looks like its a minor whoops and I can just leave it open. Thanks for your help

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a different note I have the trigger system platinum 34 sump and bought this skimmer on black friday. After further reading is this too big for the whole system? Or if I over feed it'll be fine.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How tight is that 34 in the 50!?!
2. Yes that skimmer is rated 75g heavy bio load. I would size down as you won’t get a benefit using it.

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How tight is that 34 in the 50!?!
2. Yes that skimmer is rated 75g heavy bio load. I would size down as you won’t get a benefit using it.
Its plumbed to my basement lol. And the price was very similar to the smaller sizes so I just went big. Maybe too big lol

Attachments

• 20201231_141800.jpg
    20201231_141800.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 37

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its plumbed to my basement lol. And the price was very similar to the smaller sizes so I just went big. Maybe too big lol
You can read up on oversizing skimmers, but BRS is great with exchanges. You are going to love that sump

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can read up on oversizing skimmers, but BRS is great with exchanges. You are going to love that sump
I'm thinking so too. I really wanted to accomplish what I did with putting it in the basement and being able to oversize but at times I feel like I should've gotten the one you have and put it under the stand

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking so too. I really wanted to accomplish what I did with putting it in the basement and being able to oversize but at times I feel like I should've gotten the one you have and put it under the stand
Absolutely not the way you have it is preferable. I wanted a fish room.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back