Innovative Marine UV desktop.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just started using the IM UV in my aio, it’s designed to go in the first compartment, was thinking to move it to the 2nd compartment, then I could still use my filter sock in the first compartment, but I would have to remove the UV sleeve, as the flow in the 2nd compartment is up which would probably not allow the water to flow freely in the sleeve, also the bulb would then be bare so would be treating a larger water volume, work this work or a bad idea?

The tank is only 14g so the compartments are small.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um...bad.

Not sure though if you're referring to the cover or the actual quartz sleeve for the UV bulb.

The quartz sleeve is there to protect the bulb from deposits degrading performance. Quartz sleeve is used as it's transparent to UV-C and regular glass is not. It's also a easy to clean (annually or so) protection for the UV bulb.

If you're talking about the cover for the unit - that's there to protect your eyes and the UV bulb/sleeve unit. You're not actually treating more water as sufficient exposure drops off with distance from the source.

Either way - please use as designed both for your safety and for longest/best operation of the UV filter.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um...bad.

Not sure though if you're referring to the cover or the actual quartz sleeve for the UV bulb.

The quartz sleeve is there to protect the bulb from deposits degrading performance. Quartz sleeve is used as it's transparent to UV-C and regular glass is not. It's also a easy to clean (annually or so) protection for the UV bulb.

If you're talking about the cover for the unit - that's there to protect your eyes and the UV bulb/sleeve unit. You're not actually treating more water as sufficient exposure drops off with distance from the source.

Either way - please use as designed both for your safety and for longest/best operation of the UV filter.
Putting it like that I feel a little daft lol

it’s this one

B0DB5EE4-92FC-43DC-A8DD-B527DA931827.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be worried about burning my bulb out or burning my eyes out— personally I wouldn’t monkey with the intended manufacture’s design. I have that unit (in the first chamber.) I add a small piece of filter floss on top of the black sponge, and toss it every few days when dirty. ;)

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be worried about burning my bulb out or burning my eyes out— personally I wouldn’t monkey with the intended manufacture’s design. I have that unit (in the first chamber.) I add a small piece of filter floss on top of the black sponge, and toss it every few days when dirty. ;)
Do you run your 24/7?

thinking I could just run it at night and the sock during the day.

the filter it comes with tho does seem to catch a lot.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I ran it 24/7. But now I have crystal clear water without it (lots of effort and patience— lol), and a Sea Hare for my glass.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back