Innovative Marine vs Seapora

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS has an Innovative Marine 60SR for $1,799, comes with the cabinet.
Another fish store has a Seapora 80 gallon 48x24x16 for $518, and a 48x24" black stand and sump for $350.

Innovative Marine Pros:
I like the stand better (APS vs wood)
Nice design
Trusted name

Seapora Pros:
Get a nice sump
Bigger (80gal)
Cheaper

What do you guys think?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the IM comes with plumbing and the Seapora does not, that is a potentially significant cost add.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the IM comes with plumbing and the Seapora does not, that is a potentially significant cost add.
I believe both come with plumbing. I will call the store now and double check on the Seapora.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing can be a pain if you haven't done it before.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing can be a pain if you haven't done it before.
I haven't done it before. That'd be a major con of going with the Seapora then.
So let's say the Seapora whole setup costs $1,068, including stand, tank, and plumbing. Is that worse or better than going with the IM for 1799? I do like having an extra 20 gallons to work with.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you get a sump with the IM?
The IM comes with a rear sump, it's like an AIO system. I do think I would prefer having an external sump, but as mentioned it'd be a pain to setup with the Seapora.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point you have to consider build quality of tank and the stand. Is one brand of tank a lot better than the other? Will the stand hold up a lot better than the other? Is glass thickness the same? Will you be happier with one versus the other? Are you going to be happy with the tank size for a long time? If so, go with the best quality. If not, spend less if you think you will upgrade.

Rozier123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your LFS carry Planet aquariums? Check out their Crystalline series. They can also set up a complete system for you. If you are set on the IM, buy direct from them as the SRPro 2 80 is $1,811 with free shipping.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You are not too far from a waterbox at the IM price point. Waterbox is the best of both worlds IMO. Aluminum stand with modern cabinet finish and you get a sump.

AIO back chambers are a pain to clean.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your LFS carry Planet aquariums? Check out their Crystalline series. They can also set up a complete system for you. If you are set on the IM, buy direct from them as the SRPro 2 80 is $1,811 with free shipping.
It says they do online but I don't think I've seen any at the store. Can't see pricing on the Planet website but they look really nice.
You are not too far from a waterbox at the IM price point. Waterbox is the best of both worlds IMO. Aluminum stand with modern cabinet finish and you get a sump.

AIO back chambers are a pain to clean.
I like the AIO 65. I am looking for a lagoon style, longer and shorter, I am a little limited with how high I can go because of some furniture in my room, and I've just always wanted a lagoon tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning on my IM20 lagoon back chamber is simply sticking a gravel vacuum down and sucking up detritus every once in awhile. My sump is a pain because it's hard to get a good siphon when it's barely higher than the bucket.

In this case, I'd lean Seapora. An extra foot of tank is significant. The $300 plumbing estimate might be conservative depending on how elaborate you want to get though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back