input on de 250w halide bulbs

patrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a outer orbits halide/t5 fixture. I recently replaced the t5s with a bulb combo of,
Front to back,
ati blue plus
ati blue plus
kz fiji purple
ati blue plus
I have been running 2 20k de xm bulbs and hated the color of them from the start but ran them for life span.
My question is I would like to go with a 14k bulb. Thinking of either a phoenix or a ushio.
What are peoples thoughts on the two? I'm trying to get a little more growth and still maintain nice color.
Here is where it gets a little complicating.
The fixture sits about 4 inch above the water level and because of that I have been hesitate in the past to run anything but 20k bulbs in fear that anything else would fry my corals. What are you guys opinion on the matter?
Tia,
Patrick
Another thought I have is to run 22k giesmann megachrome bulbs and switch a few t5s to daylight bulbs. Problem being is I really cant find a review on the color of the megachromes to even see if its a good Idea.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help to know what kind of corals are you working with, and how deep is the tank?

jdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250 watt hqi's 14k on my 220 but are Hamaltons and I love them also I love the giesmann T-5 creates a great color combo... Good Luck

ashton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 14k Phoenix and I've ran the Ushio 14 & 20k but by far I prefer the Phoenixs. They are a good mix of White & Blue so you get a real nice coloration. My corals also seem to respond better to the phoenixs.

OP
OP
patrick

patrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot dementions doh! 36"wide 18"f2b and 24 deep. I have a mixed reef with most lps on the bottom and sticks middle to top. I'll load a pic a little later of the tank so you get the idea.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you raise the lights? It does sound like alot of light to me. At that height and tank depth it could be a bit much at first, going to newer and lower K bulbs all at once, but if you could raise it a bit for awhile and then lower it back down when the corals get used to it, it might work fine. Maybe get one bulb and try it before getting both, use it on whichever end you think could take the light the best.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE my 14k Pheonix! I will be replacing my other bulbs (Radiums) with them also. Ushio are ok but the 14k I had was really yellow for some reason.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back