Insatiable Alkalinity Consumption

RSeiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is that I cannot keep up with alkalinity consumption on my tank. I have gone from 50 ml per day to 200 ml per day in 3 months. I currently add about .75 gal of saturated Kalkwasser per day via an auto topoff and 200 ml per day of BRS Soda Ash and Calcium Carbonate via a doser in 24 intervals and am still having to dose extra every few days. My additional dosing only appears to raise the Alk about 25% of what I would expect. Both CA and Alk are dosed into the sump between the skimmer and pump chambers. My goal is 8.3 dkh but I struggle to keep it above 7. I recently stopped all dosing for 6 hours (except Kalkwasser) and my dkh dropped 0.3. I was afraid to let it go anymore. PH is rock steady at 8.3 and Ca remains relatively stable around 425 ppm. Magnesium has measured 1350 - 1450 depending on the test kit or ICP. I have never added Mag in 2 years. Salinity is 35 ppm with Fritz salt. I perform a 20% water change every two weeks. I have minor build up on my heaters, pump housing and sump bottom which requires occasional cleaning. Tank temp is stable between 78°-78.5° (Thermometer in pic is 1° out of cal).

My tank is a 2 year old 110 gallon mixed reef with about 70 corals split evenly between softies, LPS and SPS. Most corals are 2-3 times a nice frag size except for a large Birds Nest, a 4" chalice and 4" Monti Cap. I have 5 other smaller chalices (2-3") as well and a few acros. I have decent coralline coverage on the rocks and the overflow box in the tank. The system has a 1.5" sandbed (very little clumping) and 80lbs of Real Reef rock in the display, 15lbs of rock in the sump and small fuge (alternately lit) and 3 large ceramic blocks in the sump. BRS high capacity GFO is in a reactor. I also dose a small amount of Aminos and Trace Colors every day via doser.

Pictures of tank and sump attached.

My consumption seems high compared to others posted on this site and it seems to be rising at a rate I cannot keep up with. Any thoughts on if this could be normal for my tank or if something is wrong?

Sump.jpg Tank.JPG

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is that I cannot keep up with alkalinity consumption on my tank. I have gone from 50 ml per day to 200 ml per day in 3 months. I currently add about .75 gal of saturated Kalkwasser per day via an auto topoff and 200 ml per day of BRS Soda Ash and Calcium Carbonate via a doser in 24 intervals and am still having to dose extra every few days. My additional dosing only appears to raise the Alk about 25% of what I would expect. Both CA and Alk are dosed into the sump between the skimmer and pump chambers. My goal is 8.3 dkh but I struggle to keep it above 7. I recently stopped all dosing for 6 hours (except Kalkwasser) and my dkh dropped 0.3. I was afraid to let it go anymore. PH is rock steady at 8.3 and Ca remains relatively stable around 425 ppm. Magnesium has measured 1350 - 1450 depending on the test kit or ICP. I have never added Mag in 2 years. Salinity is 35 ppm with Fritz salt. I perform a 20% water change every two weeks. I have minor build up on my heaters, pump housing and sump bottom which requires occasional cleaning. Tank temp is stable between 78°-78.5° (Thermometer in pic is 1° out of cal).

My tank is a 2 year old 110 gallon mixed reef with about 70 corals split evenly between softies, LPS and SPS. Most corals are 2-3 times a nice frag size except for a large Birds Nest, a 4" chalice and 4" Monti Cap. I have 5 other smaller chalices (2-3") as well and a few acros. I have decent coralline coverage on the rocks and the overflow box in the tank. The system has a 1.5" sandbed (very little clumping) and 80lbs of Real Reef rock in the display, 15lbs of rock in the sump and small fuge (alternately lit) and 3 large ceramic blocks in the sump. BRS high capacity GFO is in a reactor. I also dose a small amount of Aminos and Trace Colors every day via doser.

Pictures of tank and sump attached.

My consumption seems high compared to others posted on this site and it seems to be rising at a rate I cannot keep up with. Any thoughts on if this could be normal for my tank or if something is wrong?

Sump.jpg Tank.JPG
Do you siphon your sand? Check for clumps in the sand.

OP
OP
RSeiss

RSeiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing both All and Ca at the same time in the same area?
Are you doing both All and Ca at the same time in the same area?
No, sorry for not mentioning that. Calcium is on the hour and Alk is on the half hour. Both going into the same place at different times. It takes a few seconds for the cloudiness to disappear after dosing.

TheRedBeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...That's pretty intense. Have you checked for precipitation around quartz sleeve of UV sterilizer?
**Edit** Or inside the output lines of any reactors?

OP
OP
RSeiss

RSeiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much in dKH per day does this add up to? mL per day isn’t an easy to interpret metric, especially with multiple alk sources.
I dose about .75 gal of Kalk per day so if I use BRS 2 part is 47 times as concentrated as calc and use the BRS calculator, it appears I get about .8 DKH per day from the Kalk.

I am currently dosing 200ml of BRS 2 part which equals about 2.6 DKH per day for a total of 3.4 DKH per day and this has not stabilized my consumption. I am still adding additional doses every other day or so just to maintain around 7.5.

Yesterday I stopped all dosing except for Kalk. In 18 hours, I dropped .9 DKH or 1.3 DKH per day. So it appears I am adding twice as much 2 part than necessary.

Due to travel schedules, I need to rely on my doser so I am going to reduce my dosing down to match an estimate of 1.3 drop per day plus kalk for now. But even at this new dosage, 2.1DKH (dosing + kalk) per day seems high for my tank.

Next week I plan to turn off the doser for several days and hand dose to get a better feel for actual consumption and adjust accordingly, under the assumption that I am overdosing and it is precipitating somewhere.

Do you think I am on the right track? Other thoughts?

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think stopping the 2 part is also going to increase the amount of kalk you're adding via your ato

assuming 108 gallons water volume, * 1.25% saturated kalk, 5,110ml/day, would raise 2.8 dkh (pls correct me if i'm wrong, I think I got that from one of Randy's posts). I think that you should be getting over 1.7 dkh supplemented from the kalk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RSeiss

RSeiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved - Severe overdose. Not sure how I got there, but I ended up dosing nearly 3 times what my tank needed. I think it may have something to do with increased top off consumption that I did not realize. After stopping Kalk in the top off and stopping the auto dosing, the tank settled in at 2 DKH consumption per day. Currently I am only using RODI in the top off and if I go back to Kalk, it will be through a spare head on my dosing pump. Thanks to Bulk Reef Supply for calling out overdosing on one of their FAQ videos.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved - Severe overdose. Not sure how I got there, but I ended up dosing nearly 3 times what my tank needed. I think it may have something to do with increased top off consumption that I did not realize. After stopping Kalk in the top off and stopping the auto dosing, the tank settled in at 2 DKH consumption per day. Currently I am only using RODI in the top off and if I go back to Kalk, it will be through a spare head on my dosing pump. Thanks to Bulk Reef Supply for calling out overdosing on one of their FAQ videos.
Excellent! I run limewater only through a fixed dosing amount, not tied to top off myself. Its a much better approach in my experience.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back