Installed my icecap algae scrubbed

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I purchased the large and am very happy so far. No leaks..lol. This is my first algae scrubbed. My fuge isn’t keeping up with nutrients and I’d like to stop nopox .
DE40A2BB-67D5-47F0-8689-EFB5A4483FA3.jpeg
5256E6A9-ABB8-47CF-A718-F4519E06C66A.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet! What model is the #reefoctopus skimmer? What tank is all of that supporting? I look forward to hearing your feedback on the #IceCap algae reactor!

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sweet! What model is the #reefoctopus skimmer? What tank is all of that supporting? I look forward to hearing your feedback on the #IceCap algae reactor!
It’s a Regal 300int. I really like it. Replaced a eshopps s-300. It’s only been a month but I no longer struggle with low PH. My tank is a 245 with a 40 sump and 40 fuge.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s a Regal 300int. I really like it. Replaced a eshopps s-300. It’s only been a month but I no longer struggle with low PH. My tank is a 245 with a 40 sump and 40 fuge.

That's awesome! Congratulations on the new equipment - let us know how it goes!

zie2695

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why would you wanna stop nopox? After watching this presentation I don't think I'll ever stop carbon dosing because of its benefits! Nutrient reduction is a byproduct of what its actually doing. The last 5 or 6 minutes he discusses "carbon dosing" in more detail.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just curious, why would you wanna stop nopox? After watching this presentation I don't think I'll ever stop carbon dosing because of its benefits! Nutrient reduction is a byproduct of what its actually doing. The last 5 or 6 minutes he discusses "carbon dosing" in more detail.

Not a fan of cleaning the white haze on the glass daily or the snot buildup in the sump. It’s also expensive. But it does work. I will continue to carbon dose if needed. Once I use up the big jug of NOPOX I’m thinking about trying vinegar.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a hint, the large outlet pipe should be under water. Also, if you tie a filter bag/sock to the large outlet pipe in the water it acts like a bubble trap and catches junk that comes out of the scrubber.

The smaller pipe should be a little higher above the water level. The reason is that when the unit fills with algae the upper pipe starts to overflow and it acts like an alarm. With the sound of running water and it’s time to clean it out.

Also I see you glued the outlet pipes..honestly not really needed on this application. Not having them glued makes life easier for maintenance.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a hint, the large outlet pipe should be under water. Also, if you tie a filter bag/sock to the large outlet pipe in the water it acts like a bubble trap and catches junk that comes out of the scrubber.

The smaller pipe should be a little higher above the water level. The reason is that when the unit fills with algae the upper pipe starts to overflow and it acts like an alarm. With the sound of running water and it’s time to clean it out.

Also I see you glued the outlet pipes..honestly not really needed on this application. Not having them glued makes life easier for maintenance.

Good tips on #IceCap algae scrubber! Can you explain a bit more about the filter that you put on the outflow (what size? how do you secure it? etc.)? Thanks.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tips on #IceCap algae scrubber! Can you explain a bit more about the filter that you put on the outflow (what size? how do you secure it? etc.)? Thanks.

It’s just a draw string filter sock. I use a mesh one instead of a felt one.
I just tie it to the pipe. 1. you can add a groove to the pipe to keep the sock from sliding off the pipe. (File or dremel). 2. Or add a zip tie to the outside of the pipe. Make sure its tight glue it if you need to. Then tie the filter sock above the zip tie and it won’t slide down the pipe.

Just to be clear, I use a clearwater scrubber. It’s the same basic set up as the Icecap.

Here’s the sock

9A700EEB-681C-4020-AAF4-DAC299F88723.jpeg

28EA1C35-DD2F-4E64-9356-5515F9DB8FC0.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool - I like it! Thanks for the pictures! :)

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Great tips.. thank you. I already extended the main drain to the water because water was splashing everywhere. Even had drops on the light fixture. I’ll definitely pick up a draw string sock. Already had a large piece of algae come out. I zip tied a few small pieces to the screen.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back