Installed new sump woke up to dead fish

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gutted for you. We all make mistakes in life. At least you know the problem now.

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. YEAH IT REALLY SUCKS!!! I do have a question regarding the media that I have in the sump. So I have 3 bags of (de- nitrate ) media that I previously in the canister and it sat in the sump all night. I also have the new xport plate that was not previously used that sat in the sump all night. Should I put the bags of de nitrate back in the canister or leave em out ???

Attachments

• C5B7CE04-12B4-4A71-B6A6-2F7CE3A1929A.jpeg
    C5B7CE04-12B4-4A71-B6A6-2F7CE3A1929A.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 35

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. YEAH IT REALLY SUCKS!!! I do have a question regarding the media that I have in the sump. So I have 3 bags of (de- nitrate ) media that I previously in the canister and it sat in the sump all night. I also have the new xport plate that was not previously used that sat in the sump all night. Should I put the bags of de nitrate back in the canister or leave em out ???
I personally would get rid of anything that could absorb the chemical if possible....

When I nuked my tank the same way, I did keep the LR and I still have fish from the tank 12 years later.

I cought it within 24hrs like you.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of mold inhibitors is certainly a red flag, but I would continue to evaluate everything else that happened to be sure you don't overlook another problem. I have no idea how quickly the mold inhibitors would leach into the water, particularly since the silicone had cured for 6 days. So, I don't think it's 100% certain that this is what killed your fish.

Also, be aware that some silicones are labeled "not for aquarium use" because they are not rated for underwater use. If used to build an aquarium they might not hold the bond after being submerged. I've used these to place baffles inside of sumps without any problem, but I have avoided the ones with mold inhibitors.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your assumption is the silicone killed your fish.
Maybe true, maybe not.

I’d move sequentially and have a good look before doing anything more....that is......if there’s been no more death, watch carefully.

The silicone only had a short contact time after drying for 6 days, it may have added some ammonia to the waters which would have only a temporary effect.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. When you reinstall the sump, you may consider allowing the PVC glue to dry for at least 24 hours prior to use, discarding any of the possibly contaminated media, and allowing the sump and cannister to run simultaneously for awhile if possible to allow the media in the sump to build a bacteria population before taking the cannister off line. Might reduce the chances of other contributing factors. Just a thought.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Think I discovered the issue. The DAMM SILICONE SAYS MOLD FREE FOR 10 years. So I am guessing that it has mold inhibitors added.

would running large amount of carbon be enough to remove the toxin? Will it continue to be an issue?

so mad at myself.
As I thought
I only use aquarium sealant by aqueon

1612815168534.jpeg

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone’s input. It helps a little to know that similar has happened to others. I JUST FEEL TERRIBLE AND STUPID TO KNOW THAT I ESSENTIALLY POISONED MY TANK.

ANYWAY. My plan is to take all of the bad silicone out of the sump and clean really well and redo the sump with the proper silicone. I have already put back on the canister and the aquaclear 110 and have taken the sump offline.

after all is properly cured I will reinstall the sump and run the new sump in conjunction with the canister and aquaclear for a few weeks. The. Hopefully everything will be ok.

THE CRAPPY THING IS THAT IN AN EDFORT TO SAVE MONEY BY DOING A DIY SUMP IT IS GONNA WND UP COSTING ME MORE AND I HAVE LOST SOME NICE FISH. AND OF COURSE ONE OF THE LOST FISH WAS MY WIFES FAVORITE!!!

gonna be a a while before I cam replace due to expense.

thanks all.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE CRAPPY THING IS THAT IN AN EDFORT TO SAVE MONEY BY DOING A DIY SUMP IT IS GONNA WND UP COSTING ME MORE AND I HAVE LOST SOME NICE FISH. AND OF COURSE ONE OF THE LOST FISH WAS MY WIFES FAVORITE!!!

gonna be a a while before I cam replace due to expense.
Sorry to hear about the loss, but I think you will find many of us have done stupid things with our tanks, I know I have. So try not to beat yourself up over it.

Also, not trying to kick you when your down but if your wife's favorite fish was the Vlamingii tang I just wanted to point out it gets way too big for your tank. I'm not sure what a shoulder angel is but if it is a orange shoulder tang it also gets too big for your tank

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE.. After getting home from work I lost 4 more fish yellow tang, 2 blue chromis and a anthias. The only 2 fish left are a pair of black clowns. Funny thing is it seems non of the inverts are affected at all. 3 peppermint shrimp 1 coral banded shrimp and at least 17 hermits and 9 snails all seem to just fine. The corals are not as open as before but they all have color and are opening mostly.

does this make sense with what myself and others have speculated that what caused this was toxicity from the mildew resistant silicone. Specially methanol and ammonia (that the MSDS states are released when this particular silicone interacts with water.

does it make sense that if methanol and ammonia are to blame that the fish would die and the inverts seem to be ok??

any input is appreciated.

I have already started removing all the bad silicone and will start over with new. Hopefully the fish loss has stopped and the inverts and corals will live.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I discovered the issue. The DAMM SILICONE SAYS MOLD FREE FOR 10 years. So I am guessing that it has mold inhibitors added.

would running large amount of carbon be enough to remove the toxin? Will it continue to be an issue?

so mad at myself.

Remove and re-do it. It is good for 10 years... TEN YEARS. I would not think this will be cured by carbon, only covered up.

Need to do water changes too.

Sorry this happened, have seen it happen many times before to people :/

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nightmare. I know the silicone is a problem that has to be fixed, but I still cannot believe that is the only problem here, particularly given the fact you took the sump off line and replaced the canister filter and you still had more deaths. I know you've racked your brain to recall anything else that might have happened. I wish we had more to offer than speculation.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back