Installing a UV sterilizer on a fallow tank.

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I have had a particular 40 gallon breeder that has been fallow for over six month. It’s been set up for a couple years, starting with dry rock. I had a single Panama cardinal fish and I was letting it run its course through the various algae stages. Well, I can’t say for sure what it was because I didn’t microscope it, but I had some really terrible stuff take over my tank. I think it was Dino’s, but cant say for sure. I’ve had other tanks have similar looking stuff, but this stuff went on for months and months. Eventually, I just cut off my light, and it went away. About 6 months ago, my fish went missing, so it’s just been fallow ever since. Pretty sure my few members of the CUC were gone before then.

So I’m trying to put together a game plan on getting the tank back going. My thoughts are draining about half the water and turns the lights on. Maybe add a single fish? I’m thinking the cycle is shoot, so maybe I should turn the lights back off?

Also after doing a bunch of reading, been looking at UV sterilizer. I’ve read they can be great for Dino’s and nuisance algae. Should I run my tank a while with a fish and lights on before considering that?

Thanks in advance for any Info

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d check your parameters where they are first to see where chemistry is right now.

If ammonia is zero (and I would expect that) then add your fish, forget the lights at the moment, fish don’t need lights.

I definitely would not consider a UV unless your for sure, targeting Dino’s which come off the sand and rock when lights out, or targeting a pest.

UV sterilizes both good and bad algae’s which is counterproductive to your system.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back