Installing Bulkhead Tips

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think custom-cut EPDM gaskets might be an idea indeed.
I need to look into it. I use to have some water jetted back in the day, but they were too expensive. I haven't seen anyone cutting it with an endmill in a CNC. Maybe I can use a drag knife, but need a good way to hold them down that isn't crazy expensive.

ReeferT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am removing one overflow from a 140 reef tank and was planning to use two bulkheads to plug bottom holes. After reading some of the comments in this thread, I am afraid this may not be a good option and leak over time. Anyone have any thoughts on the best most leak proof approach?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two gaskets, one on the water side, and one on the outside. The one on the outside is usually an old gasket, but I have bought new for this. My reason is, it puts tension on the nut, and it is less likely to come loose. I started doing this Cooling Tower Chemical Feeds, leaks went to zero.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the ten pages, but inside, outside doesn't matter. What matters as far as the gasket is concerned is that it ALWAYS goes on the flange side regardless if it's inside or outside the tank.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make it a practice and this should work. Place AQUARIUM silicone on both sides and let it dry at LEAST 4 hours (or more and worth the wait). The silicone will act as a new gasket and seal it nicely and easy to scape off if removal is ever necessary
When you use silicone, are you saying you put it on both sides of the gasket? Both sides of the glass?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you use silicone, are you saying you put it on both sides of the gasket? Both sides of the glass?
Honestly (and I know its not a Best practice - BRS is the one who suggested it), I placed a light film of aquarium sealant on the bulkhead body and both sides of gasket and could have cried when there was NOT ONE drop of water.
I allowed it to dry overnight.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have pictures of their return bulkheads that are threaded and how you piped it down to return pump?

ive got two 1/2" bulkheads on the skinny side of a 60gallon. Im going to buy threaded tho, should i get threaded on the inside of the tank too? I got two 1/2" RFG FLEX SERIES NOZZLES

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
anyone have pictures of their return bulkheads that are threaded and how you piped it down to return pump?

ive got two 1/2" bulkheads on the skinny side of a 60gallon. Im going to buy threaded tho, should i get threaded on the inside of the tank too? I got two 1/2" RFG FLEX SERIES NOZZLES
1703993016673.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mine threaded on top and direct fit/glued below

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back