Instant ocean high parameters

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi I just mixed up 30 gallons of instant ocean purple bucket and the parameters are high.
Tank volume: 60 gallons

Calcium: 550
Magnesium: 1700

Will this have any effect on my corals if I were change out the water?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what corals you have and what your parameters were before. If Calcium was already 500 then it shouldn't be too bad.

I use the same salt and do large % water changes as well with no ill effects. I keep mostly very easy sps and lps though. Nothing delicate.

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know what your parameters are in the DT, you should be able to roughly figure out how much they will change.

Based on your values I would think your Salinity is high as well. If that is the case, get the salinity in check and then remeasure Ca and Mg.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry should’ve mentioned I mixed the water to 34.5 ppt. Calibrated the same day using Hanna checker.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tank parameters:
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1400

How much will this raise my cal and mag?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank parameters:
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1400

How much will this raise my cal and mag?
Well if you change 30 of 60 gallons of water then calcium will go to 485 and mag to 1550. I can't speak to the effects it will have as I have never monitored my changes before.

If you are worried then you could just change 15 of 60 gallons to be safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well if you change 30 or 60 gallons of water then calcium will go to 485 and mag to 1550. I can't speak to the effects it will have as I have never monitored my changes before.

If you are worried then you could just change 15 of 60 gallons to be safe.
Ok thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How large of a fraction of a bucket or bag did you make up?
How are you measuring magnesium? (many kits, especially Red Sea, seem to give inaccurate results)
I made 30 gallons of the 160 gallon purple bucket. Rolled the bucket around before I opened it.
I used all salifert to test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 30 gallons of the 160 gallon purple bucket. Rolled the bucket around before I opened it.
I used all salifert to test.

Might your salinity be high? IO doesn't typically vary nearly that high.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy. My IO never tests that high. I’m willing to bet salinity is high, or calcium test is not being preformed correctly, or the test kit is giving faulty readings.

My IO purple tests calcium at 380ppm.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO should be allowed to mix for ~24hrs before use. If you're testing right after mixing then wait and re-test everything again after that. I've never seen it that high either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO should be allowed to mix for ~24hrs before use. If you're testing right after mixing then wait and re-test everything again after that. I've never seen it that high either.

Why do you say that?

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, and as many others have stated, it takes hours for IO mix to clear. One would assume (I know, the 'a' word) that it's not fully dissolved and could throw off testing. I haven't done before and after testing in quite some time but I do vaguely remember getting different results. @Randy Holmes-Farley - I'm no professional so if you're saying it shouldn't matter then I will have to retract my statement. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, and as many others have stated, it takes hours for IO mix to clear. One would assume (I know, the 'a' word) that it's not fully dissolved and could throw off testing. I haven't done before and after testing in quite some time but I do vaguely remember getting different results. @Randy Holmes-Farley - I'm no professional so if you're saying it shouldn't matter then I will have to retract my statement. :)

I usually stir overnight, but Craig Bingman suggested if you had enough power, 5 minutes is enough:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about it throwing off the testing numbers but you can certainly use I/O within an hour. I came up short 30 gallons during a tank move and had to quickly mix some up. Was late and tired and after 30-45 min of mixing just combined that 30g into the other 90g already in place. No problems from that.

of course it never seems to mix clear for me unless I let it mix for 12-24 hours. Sometimes it never mixes clear even after 48 hours. Still always use it.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm have no doubt you could use it in a pinch, I was questioning whether some parameters would change between fresh mixed and being allowed to mix completely overnight, ie Ca & Mg. I did it once but it was so long ago I can't be sure that I'm remembering the results correctly. (getting old is bugger) I changed my routine then so I'm assuming I did, but...

I'm actually filling up the water bin now so I'll have to try it again. I use the Hanna Ca, which I get very consistent results with, and I have Red Sea as well. I'll check with both. I use Aquaforrest for Mg. I'll post what I find.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a positive side note for high-parameter salts.

I ran a tank for many years with just water changes using high-parameter salt. As it wasn't a high-demand tank, hhe high-parameters replaced dosing anything. So simple...those were the days.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.2%
Back