Instant Ocean mix

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some IO veteran here and using IO with success. I use RedSea Blue in my reef tank, but had some really sad experience with IO in my QT process. I've lost a good number of fish overnight if not faster when adding to *newly* mixed IO salt water. I'm starting to believe my process of mixing in a couple hours is too fast. The water test fine with refract plus temp check so that's not killing the fish , but I'm starting to think that the pH or oxygen is the problem from fresh batch. That there needs to be some kind of time allowing it to settle and balance. Thoughts?

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef crystals and instant ocean . CRYSTAL clear water in all my tanks. I use tap water too!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some IO veteran here and using IO with success. I use RedSea Blue in my reef tank, but had some really sad experience with IO in my QT process. I've lost a good number of fish overnight if not faster when adding to *newly* mixed IO salt water. I'm starting to believe my process of mixing in a couple hours is too fast. The water test fine with refract plus temp check so that's not killing the fish , but I'm starting to think that the pH or oxygen is the problem from fresh batch. That there needs to be some kind of time allowing it to settle and balance. Thoughts?
I always wait 24 hours before use and circulate via a powerhead. Never tried soon after mixing as it does seem to be a bit cloudy and did not want to risk it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the BRS video on how long it takes for salts to mix homogeneously. Was certainly an eye opener for me.

I have used IO for the better part of 20 years. I always mix for 24 hours, never heat, and just let it sit in my brute. I mix enough for a month at a time. Never had anything floating in it, or fish die in QT from IO.

99% of the public aquariums around the world use IO(one because it's cheap, and the other because it's pretty consistent). If fish died from it, it would not stand the test of time like it has.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be the problem for me is the pre-mature use of it. I have QT tanks running fine with IO, but have lost 5-6 fish almost immediately after a 2-3 hour mix. IO is a fine salt that's not an issue. Questioning how long it needs to be mixed to add fish to it when we're talking 100% freshly mixed tank full of fresh IO water. Maybe the 24 hr is the key which makes this a less than ideal salt for emergency 100% wc mix. Speculation of course as IO is good salt and folks have had plenty of success with it. Just trying to understand any of the product's limitations.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well could be the time in which you mixed, Hard to say for sure.

IO unfortunately does take a while to mix, and in the BRS video, it didn't mix homogeneously until 24 hours. For me this isn't a problem as I always have enough mixed up water on hand to do 100% WC if needed(85G total water volume).

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always noticed a difference in how the water smells after a couple hours mixed compared to a day later. Probly a lot less of a problem during a water change cause it'll get diluted but when chaging 100% of the qt water best to wait 24 hours.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 gallons of IO freshly mixed to 1.026. I have been having to take paper towels and wipe out to brown crap every time I make a batch.

IO.jpg

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have used IO for years with no problems/clouding. One time I bought a box that was clouding and didn't clear after mixing so I called them to see what was up and they sent me a new box no charge. It does cloud some when I first mix it but clears in about 15-20 minutes. I usually use it within a few hours of mixing. I mix then heat. I used to use a heater that was stuck in the on position and overheated it a couple times which caused it to precipitate. I mix in a brute, only make up what I need and then dry the container and wipe it down with alcohol after each use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, there's no reason a batch of seawater cannot be made in a few minutes and be just fine, if you sufficiently mix and aerate it:

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the OP is talking about grainy particulate, not cloudy water....is that correct?

Mix up fresh IO and put it in a glass and see if there is any of the same particulate matter in the glass. That might tell you if it's the salt or not

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a little particulate matter isn't a big deal. Think about what other particles are in the water from sand, poop detritus, etc. The concern here is if the water is safe for immediate use for fish. I think the other part to highlight is we're talking 100% of the water, not just a water change of 25% which means the original 75% is still there. Specifically mix for a full tank and throw fish in in a couple hours taking the cycling and bacterial out of the conversation for a moment. @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned above about aerating which is where my head is at.

There was a discussion here which I'll have to find the link on IO salt. Rumored to have ammonia or whatever and potentially lower pH and oxygen levels when first mixed...which leads to the part about leaving it overnight to aerate and "settle in" before use. I had too many deaths in QT during TTM with quickly mixing and transferring. Can't think of other causes hence going down this investigation path.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used IO since the late 90s. Never an issue with particulates. In my very first tank, if salinity was off, I’d pour a cup of IO directly in the HOB skimmer chamber (Not recommended) and never had issues.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank everyone for your input regarding my mixing salt and seeing floating particulates.

What I'm going to do going forward is to mix IO salt again and let it sit 24 hours.

In the past, I've had mixed salt sit in my brute can with the powerhead continuing moving water with the lid on. I was told to keep the lid off. Curious how long can I store mixed water in the brute?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank everyone for your input regarding my mixing salt and seeing floating particulates.

What I'm going to do going forward is to mix IO salt again and let it sit 24 hours.

In the past, I've had mixed salt sit in my brute can with the powerhead continuing moving water with the lid on. I was told to keep the lid off. Curious how long can I store mixed water in the brute?

i always have 100g of SW ready. In the past, I did monthly changes and kept in the brute the whole month. Just make sure to circulate it prior to the WC

I’ve read countless posts of people saying you shouldn’t leave it stored and others say no problem.

the SW in our tanks certainly stays there awhile. ;)

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always have 100g of SW ready. In the past, I did monthly changes and kept in the brute the whole month. Just make sure to circulate it prior to the WC

I’ve read countless posts of people saying you shouldn’t leave it stored and others say no problem.

the SW in our tanks certainly stays there awhile. ;)
I was told the same. 3 days max stored.

When you store it in your brute, Did you leave the top off or on?

And Thank you!

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the same. 3 days max stored.

When you store it in your brute, Did you leave the top off or on?

And Thank you!
I’ve done both. It can get a little musty smelling with top totally sealed. I would leave top on but not fully pushed down.

I have my current setup with a pump that automatically turns on for about 15min every 3 hours.

Back