Instant ocean protein skimmer micro bubble issues

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to glue my corals down. And I have LPS frogspawn hammers etc so when I touch them they release a slime coat which messes up my skimmer. And now I'm getting a ton of micro bubbles making my tank look absolutely terrible.
dddaa7ef715314ac838f6e3043c487f8.jpg

Also it isn't skimming no extra protein is going to the top container any tips on how to fix this

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the bubbles go away when you turn the skimmer off?
I doubt your skimmer is causing that problem. I think your return pump is sucking in air

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to slow the through put of water. You want the bubbles to go up the neck and not flow out the water outlet. Sometimes it's inevitable you get some bubbles but some proper tuning should help.

Sometimes that's the nature with a hob skimmer

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your return pump will move the bubbles right into your tank if they are in the water. You either need to create a bubble dang or chamber to catch them or slow the through put of water. You want the bubbles to go up the neck and not flow out the water outlet. Sometimes it's inevitable you get some bubbles but some proper tuning should help or better placement and setup in your sump.

The thing is this randomly happened. It was just fine.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the skimmer? They have a break in period were you adjustments or setting will need to be changed to get the same output. Also change in water level will affect the function. Try to keep it the same as much as possible.

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the skimmer? They have a break in period were you adjustments or setting will need to be changed to get the same output. Also change in water level will affect the function. Try to keep it the same as much as possible.

It's about 4 months old. Nothing has changed that's why this is weird. But I'll try some of those things

SeagraveJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue! Intake on my hob is shooting too much air into the skimmer and then the outflow is full of micro bubbles. What do I do?

SeagraveJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue w microbubbles. Helpppp? Air intake is designed to shoot into the pump, but then shoots right through the system into my tank????

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back