Instant Ocean Reef Salt

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean offers salt in the bucket and by the box with the box providing more gallons per $ price point - I read somewhere that for the boxed version, it must be stirred up in its dry form to ensure that the product is able to deliver the Salinity, CA and P values. I'm wondering if this really is the case.

Thanks

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy it by the box, then take 3 bags at a time, pour them into a large clean sack or garbage bag and thoroughly mix it before pouring all into one of the IO buckets. (3 bags will top off an empty bucket)

I never had issues before starting to mix it, but I also saw the horror stories you must have seen to make this post - so trying to be safe rather than sorry.

Overall I have ran IO (reef crystals) for a few years without issue.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that I understand the question but I buy in the box or bucket (whichever is cheaper) and I’ve never done anything different based on which container I buy it in.

ETA- ok I get the question. I mix up the dry mix before I use it regardless of which way I buy it. In the bucket I roll the bucket around to mix it up, and in the bag is just move the salt mix around in the bag.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! We have a mixed feedback, so it looks like it's optional to mix the product up in its dry form either bucket or box.

Appreciate it.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO reef crystals for more than 2 years. For bucket I roll for a minute, for bags I shake them. It will not harm and since some people said there was an issue, every story has a salt of truth so why not to do it?
I can imagine when salt is transporting for hours in the same position and some parts of the salt can separate, I think this routine should be done for all types of salt.

I returned 1 bucket of salt to Petco and I even got a discount from IO for next purchase because my batch was bad and I think I just forgot to stir the content.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stratification in buckets of any salt is a real thing(When elements settle during shipping). BRS did a video a few years back about it.

For the 200G box with 4 separate bags, I do not mix them, just dump 3 bags into a bucket. If I buy the bucket, I will roll it around before use.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I buy it by the box, then take 3 bags at a time, pour them into a large clean sack or garbage bag and thoroughly mix it before pouring all into one of the IO buckets. (3 bags will top off an empty bucket)

I never had issues before starting to mix it, but I also saw the horror stories you must have seen to make this post - so trying to be safe rather than sorry.

Overall I have ran IO (reef crystals) for a few years without issue.
No issues except smelly brown buckets :(

Back