Instant Ocean Users

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to use instant ocean years ago, mainly because I didn’t know anything else existed. It was all my LFS sold… I never had any problems. Last year when I restarted the hobby, I started with Tropic Marin Pro salt. Pharmaceutical grade, instant, clean mixing, etc. It seemed like a no brainer despite the crazy price.

Well, instant mixing doesn’t really matter to me anymore because I have 30 gallons always available in my mixing bin and clean mixing just hasn’t been my experience with TM (Turkey or German). So today I was at Petco and managed to get two IO buckets for $72 with tax-enough to make 320 gallons. I figured I can’t justify spending twice the amount for half as much anymore.

For that price, I couldn’t pass it up. For those of you who use IO, do you tweak the salt at all (raise/lower elements). I don’t know what parameters it mixes to off the top of my head, but my tank is currently 8.9-9.0, calcium 440-450 and mag ~1400 (I supplement).

My plan is to just begin using IO with my routine 15% water changes.

Last edited:

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use instant ocean years ago, mainly because I didn’t know anything else existed. It was all my LFS sold… I never had any problems. Last year when I restarted the hobby, I started with Tropic Marin Pro salt. Pharmaceutical grade, instant, clean mixing, etc. It seemed like a no brainer despite the crazy price.

Well, instant mixing doesn’t really matter to me anymore because I have 30 gallons always available in my mixing bin and clean mixing just hasn’t been my experience with TM (Turkey or German). So today I was at Petco and managed to get two IO buckets for $72 with tax-enough to make 320 gallons. I figured I can’t justify spending twice the amount for half as much anymore.

For that price, I couldn’t pass it up. For those of you who use IO, do you tweak the salt at all (raise/lower elements). I don’t know what parameters it mixes to off the too, but my tank is currently 8.9-9.0, calcium 440-450 and mag ~1400 (I supplement).

My plan is to just begin using IO with my routine 15% water changes.
I think the same thing you do about the reef salt cost and the time it takes me is excessive during summer anyway because I have to cool the RO/DI water off anyway. So a few hours to let the salt mix is fine.

I do a 15% water change every week or two, sometimes it just doesn't happen so is what it is. The water change is not done in my case for nutrient exchange, it is simply for ionic balance adjustment. So I don't do any tweaking of the mix because in my case I want the balanced mix without any changes as it is the point of the change to begin with. What I've found in before/after tests is the wholesale change in the water column is negligible. What you'd expect from a water change this size.

I have a little anxiety that I'll get a "bad batch" because I've read about this time and again on this forum but so far I've changed hundreds of gallons over years of reefing and never encountered this issue. I've just been taking my time, mix my salt in the morning and do the water change in the evening hours later after the water cools down and is fully mixed without any residual at the bottom. Always had success with it.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on Petsmart for salt too.
They just had a great sale on Instant Ocean the last several weeks, where you could get buckets for under $23 each. (3) buckets of IO came to $68 with free shipping.

unfortunately, that sale is now over.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the same thing you do about the reef salt cost and the time it takes me is excessive during summer anyway because I have to cool the RO/DI water off anyway. So a few hours to let the salt mix is fine.

I do a 15% water change every week or two, sometimes it just doesn't happen so is what it is. The water change is not done in my case for nutrient exchange, it is simply for ionic balance adjustment. So I don't do any tweaking of the mix because in my case I want the balanced mix without any changes as it is the point of the change to begin with. What I've found in before/after tests is the wholesale change in the water column is negligible. What you'd expect from a water change this size.

I have a little anxiety that I'll get a "bad batch" because I've read about this time and again on this forum but so far I've changed hundreds of gallons over years of reefing and never encountered this issue. I've just been taking my time, mix my salt in the morning and do the water change in the evening hours later after the water cools down and is fully mixed without any residual at the bottom. Always had success with it.
I test my tank pretty methodically, so I’m not super worried about the bad batch concern as I usually test immediately following a water change. I end up dosing nutrients by hand, so I water change for the same reason as you, trace/ionic balance. My biggest concern is the Alk, but it seems to always even out from what I’m reading tonight, especially with smaller % volume changes.

As for calcium, I honestly don’t monitor it that frequently, it always seems to just fall in the 400-450 range if my Alk & Salinity are good, but I suppose I can order some calcium chloride if I notice it decreasing too much.

What’s funny is this hobby is a black hole for money, but for some reason every time I do a water change with the TM salt I feel like I’m literally pouring $5-10 down the toilet. Stupid thing to worry about, but since I had good luck with the IO in the past it seems like a good place to save some money.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They just had a great sale on Instant Ocean the last several weeks, where you could get buckets for under $23 each. (3) buckets of IO came to $68 with free shipping.

D*** that’s a good deal! I thought I did well today! Unfortunately, my local petsmart doesn’t sell anything saltwater so I’d have to find the online deal. Petco is literally my only local saltwater store and their inventory is complete junk.

Ive been ordering from saltwater aquarium.com now because they are located in Gettysburg, PA (about 2 hours from me) and even with free economy shipping, stuff arrives in one day.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That deal wasn't actually available everywhere... They wouldn't let you add more than 1 bucket to your cart. :(

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D*** that’s a good deal! I thought I did well today! Unfortunately, my local petsmart doesn’t sell anything saltwater so I’d have to find the online deal. Petco is literally my only local saltwater store and their inventory is complete junk.

Ive been ordering from saltwater aquarium.com now because they are located in Gettysburg, PA (about 2 hours from me) and even with free economy shipping, stuff arrives in one day.
Chewy has a good deal on the IORC 200 gallon boxes right now.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had issues with really high alkalinity from reef crystals recently. I know some of its due to new sand and rock but it was 13.3 and rising before I switched salts to reduce it.
You should be able to fix relatively easily with an inorganic acid like muriatic acid. I think there is a formula floating around here. I believe you need to let it sit for a while after before using though.

I think reef crystals runs higher Alk than regular instant ocean. 13 is pretty crazy.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon and have only ever used IO. I do a 5 gallon water change every 3 weeks or so. I aim for my alkalinity right around 8, and I dose All For Reef to keep it there. I don't make any adjustments or even warm the water when doing the water change.

At first I was adding HCl and bubbling air through it to get the alk down before I did a water change, but I stopped doing that and it's been totally fine.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

At first I was adding HCl and bubbling air through it to get the alk down before I did a water change, but I stopped doing that and it's been totally fine.
nice thanks for sharing.

I have a 60 gallon (63 total gallons w/sump) and typically do 2-3 5 gallon buckets depending on how fast I get sick of carrying the buckets up to the second floor from the basement lol

still need to find a nice way to get plumbing up to the second floor some day…

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I recently tested my freshly mixed instant ocean reef crystals (RODI water) and it tested .25 for phosphates and .25 for ammonia. I didn't test the last bucket for phosphates but the last Bach also ran high for ammonia.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I recently tested my freshly mixed instant ocean reef crystals (RODI water) and it tested .25 for phosphates and .25 for ammonia. I didn't test the last bucket for phosphates but the last Bach also ran high for ammonia.
API test kit by chance?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back