Instant Ocean

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question but does reef crystals go bad? I was going to buy 2-3 boxes of salt which would take me quite a while to use. Just don’t want to buy all this salt and have it go bad

If you believe the vitamins in it are of utility, those will eventually degrade sitting in a bucket and faster once disoslved.

I personally see no demonstrated value to them.

Very long term, all salt mixes can get more and more precipitation of calcium carbonate. In general, if alk is still OK after the salt mix is settled and clear, the mix should be good enough to use.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 boxes of 200g reef crystal get rock solid after 6+ months in the garage in Chicago. Moisture does get through the bags. Now I only buy buckets as they tend to hold up longer.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started driving my first car took premium... $0.99
I think it was 2008? I saw gas for over $4 where I was at and thought no way that's ever going to happen again, fast forward to this year and it was barely under $5 and premium was close to $6

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why they have held out this long. Can anyone honestly say the value of IO and RC is HALF of any given competing salt? I can’t. I’ve had bad batches of Red Sea and it leaves crud in the mixing bin. I don’t blame them when there’s 5 other kinds of salt on the market close to $100.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why they have held out this long. Can anyone honestly say the value of IO and RC is HALF of any given competing salt? I can’t. I’ve had bad batches of Red Sea and it leaves crud in the mixing bin. I don’t blame them when there’s 5 other kinds of salt on the market close to $100.

I used normal IO for 20 years and think it is a fine mix.

What do you think is wrong with it?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used normal IO for 20 years and think it is a fine mix.

What do you think is wrong with it?

Absolutely nothing it’s great, maybe it was poorly worded. I think the value probably warrants a price increase given that every competing salt is double the price.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely nothing it’s great, maybe it was poorly worded. I think the value probably warrants a price increase given that every competing salt is double the price.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the post. :)

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been mixing IO and RC for 10+ years and even with price increase, I won't switch brands. They are readily available in mainstream stores (petco, Amazon, etc) and the price has been great.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is just a joke from instant ocean company and they just trying to get rid of their inventory buy the end of the year.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you like to join our weekly poker game?!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy boxes or buckets but if I buy a box, I put the bags inside a bucket (still in the bags). Keeps them from turning into solid blocks. So be carful about storage if you buy boxes.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was 2008? I saw gas for over $4 where I was at and thought no way that's ever going to happen again, fast forward to this year and it was barely under $5 and premium was close to $6

Main car we drive is a Land Cruiser and were going back and forth between the small town were moved to from Austin, back to Austin like 6-7 times a week looking at houses for a few months.

Had $800-900 gas bills monthly. Not the most fuel efficient and needs premium lol...

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not everyone has a PetCo or likes them. But if sign up for the Vital Care plan ($10/m) you get $5 off your first order which stacks with their repeat delivery discount and base 20% discount for fish supplies. This makes a 44lb bucket of reef crystals shipped to my house $28. You can cancel the membership or repeat delivery at any time.

PetCo.png
Yeah i get a bucket every 2 months automatically set for store pickup at $25

I love it

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2022 base model makes the same power for the same price.

Who wants the base? ;)

Had a GT350 and at the time the R was going for insane mark-ups... every time I saw an R I'd be a little sad LOL

Spoke to a guy a year or two after I bought my 350 about his R and he said they were not hard to find at MSRP :(

There is a new GT500 track pack / carbon in our neighborhood, looks pretty nice. I know manuals are dead, but I'm not sure how I'd feel with an auto in a sports car. Last auto sports car I had was the old V10 M6, was extremely boring. Traded it in on a '13 GT500.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Who wants the base? ;)

Had a GT350 and at the time the R was going for insane mark-ups... every time I saw an R I'd be a little sad LOL

Spoke to a guy a year or two after I bought my 350 about his R and he said they were not hard to find at MSRP :(

There is a new GT500 track pack / carbon in our neighborhood, looks pretty nice. I know manuals are dead, but I'm not sure how I'd feel with an auto in a sports car. Last auto sports car I had was the old V10 M6, was extremely boring. Traded it in on a '13 GT500.
What’s a GT500 that is not manual ?

My first car 1998 Cobra SVT was manual… fun times

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back