Intank media basket vs. filter sock

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a second hand IM nuvo 30L AIO tank and am looking at how best to set it up. One thing I saw that intrigued me was the Intank media baskets. https://www.marinedepot.com/inTank_...RpcKdonwdRik7OA7n83SL_wqAKKVvUG0aAh0BEALw_wcB

Is there significant advantages of something like this over just traditional filter socks? The system came with a skimmer and a media reactor, so I'm not sure if the media reactor would render the media baskets a moot point?

It seems to me the Intank media basket would let me run up to three sections of stuff vs. whatever I could do with just one filter sock. I could run two socks, a sock on one side and media basket on the other, or two media baskets.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 30L I run an intank floss holder on one side with marine pure spheres underneath. An IM UV on the other side. Then I run a skimmer and Fuge in the two compartments next to the overflow chambers

I have not found a need to run GFO but do float a bag of carbon under the floss holder above the marine pure. Also have one bag of marine pure in the middle chamber along with 2 sicce 1.0 returns

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 30L I run an intank floss holder on one side with marine pure spheres underneath. An IM UV on the other side. Then I run a skimmer and Fuge in the two compartments next to the overflow chambers

I have not found a need to run GFO but do float a bag of carbon under the floss holder above the marine pure. Also have one bag of marine pure in the middle chamber along with 2 sicce 1.0 returns
So in the outer two chambers under the overflows you don't have filter socks or media baskets [emoji28]

The floss holder traps detritus and then the spheres just sit in the bottom of that compartment?

How do you have your fuge compartment set up? What exactly do you have in there?

If I was planning on running the skimmer in one inner compartment and having the reactor set up in the other what would be the best use of the two outer compartments? If I was to run for example carbon in a filter sock and gfo in the reactor? With the media baskets the examples I saw was filter floss on top, bag of carbon in second section and something like chemipure in the bottom section?

I understand it's generally not a good idea to run the pump driven items in the outer sections because with nothing filtering out solid particles they can clog up the pumps?

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exact same setup innovative marine 30l tank. On the left side, I have innovative marine media reactor filled with biopellets along with innovative marine dc skim skimmer next to it. Other side I have in tank filter floss under I have marine pure bag, rowa gfo and carbon bag. Also in tank refugium basket with innovative marine refugium light. I have 5 small to medium size fishes , corals and anemone now, I feed a lot. Funny thing is I cant manage my nitrate go up more than 5 unless I dont water change for one month. It's a problem actually because I need to wc for replenish minor element but cant because too low nitrate makes my softies lose color and bothered. Sps loving the environment so far. Hopefully this problem fixes as my tank get more older.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back