Intank Media for Fluval EVO V

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, brand new to the forum and about to make a purchase for my first saltwater reef tank. Due to space limits I’ll be going with the Fluval EVO 5 gallon tank. Likely will be just soft corals and inverts. Maybe a goby but not for a while until I get better at it.

Question I have is I’m planning to start with the EVO stock tank but read that the Intank Media basket is recommended. I’m curious if it makes that much of a difference or if I’m ok to start with the stock tank for this. If my chance for success is much higher with the Intank I’ll spend the extra money now but I figured I would ask the experts as I’ve read conflicting posts. If there is anything else I’m missing to get started off on the right foot I’m open to suggestions. I’ll be adding live Rock, live Sand, Hydor 50w heater. Don’t think I need a skimmer or wavemaker for this size tank and setup. Thanks In advance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run a basket and find it beneficial.
Media kits has fiber balls, carbon and GFO

dherman15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I have the Evo 13.5 and run inTank baskets.
Personally I would invest in good filtration and wait then risking improper filtration.

OP
OP
C

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the media basket is the best way to go. I wasn’t sure if it made that much of a difference but I’ve read the Evo sponge could be a nitrate factory and I don’t want that. Thanks all.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back