Intank media

  • Thread starter Thread starter rubenr01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rubenr01

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
92
Reaction score
70
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just purchased a 32.5 saltwater as mentioned above. I got intank media baskets for it. What should i put in each layer?
 
Hello! Congrats on your new tank!

Is this a typical three tiered media basket?

If so, my suggestion for a good place to start would be with some filter floss in the top tier (where the water first enters). Specifically, I use Poly-Fil, which is exactly the same as aquarium filter floss, but it's much less expensive because it doesn't have a picture of a fish on the bag 🤪 You can get Poly-Fil at any craft store or at the craft section of your local Mega-Lo-Mart, it's typically used to stuff pillows and things. Poly-Fil is so cheap it's quite easy and affordable to simply pull it, pitch it and replace it every few days to a week or so:
https://www.michaels.com/product/the-original-polyfil-premium-fiber-fill-bag-20oz-10509852
In the middle I'd try some Granular Activated Carbon. BRS Rox and ChemiPure are popular choices.

In the bottom I'd add some plastic bio media not so much for "extra" biofiltration, your rocks and sand will take care of that, but to be used if you ever need to quick-cycle a hospital or quarantine tank; plastic specifically because other materials can interact with medications used in QT tanks.

I often use plastic kitchen pot scrubbiest from the dollar store near me, something like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3849703241...K3XlpFMSVZpW2XczGcZytTWTk5W2wGr8aAtiCEALw_wcB
I hope that helps, let us know if you have more questions!

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new