Interesting fish for a 30g

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i currently have a randells goby, a captive spotted mandarin(eats prepared foods) and a royal gramma, im wondering what interesting fish you dont see to often would be a good fit. Some small shoaling fish would be cool

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny (loves caves), a blue flasher wrasse (if you have sand), talbot damsel, banggai cardinal...
Thank you for the input, and i do quite like the talbots damsel, though i am a bit worried i know those tend to be the more peacful kind right? I just dont want any nipping.

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, looking to add something different to my 30gal as well.

 Currently in the tank:
Two clowns
Yellow Spotted Goby and Pistol Shrimp.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearly Jawfish if you have a sandbed. I I have one and a Hectors Goby in my 22.
IMG_0642.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i currently have a randells goby, a captive spotted mandarin(eats prepared foods) and a royal gramma, im wondering what interesting fish you dont see to often would be a good fit. Some small shoaling fish would be cool
Why not go for a Pink Streak or Wetmorella species?
Here’s an old pink streak I had, he was so fun to watch. I now have a pair and they’re equally as fun.
IMG_0182.jpeg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go for a Pink Streak or Wetmorella species?
Here’s an old pink streak I had, he was so fun to watch. I now have a pair and they’re equally as fun.
IMG_0182.jpeg
Never seen those before they look awesome! I was thinking about a possum wrasse id just need to find somewhere i could the tanaka's possum wrasse specifically.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have thought about them, ive heard they dont ship the best i also was thinking about perhaps orange streaked cardinals but ive never seen them in persom so its hard to know if i'll like them
I don't think anything else shoals at that size tank or in general. You can keep some things like the Springeri Damsel in "schools" but I heard they don't actually shoal together.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen those before they look awesome! I was thinking about a possum wrasse id just need to find somewhere i could the tanaka's possum wrasse specifically.
Careful with the possums, some of them are gangster @jkcoral @i cant think

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? You mean harassment of small crustaceans?
Haha no! @JoJosReef is just messing around because I have a yellow banded possum wrasse that acts the complete opposite of what they normally do.

I’ve had dozens over the many years, and they are shy and peaceful little guys. They won’t mess with anything in your tank and will just cruise around all day hunting invisible bugs.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Haha no! @JoJosReef is just messing around because I have a yellow banded possum wrasse that acts the complete opposite of what they normally do.

I’ve had dozens over the many years, and they are shy and peaceful little guys. They won’t mess with anything in your tank and will just cruise around all day hunting invisible bugs.
Gotcha, that'd what I thought they did. What size tank do you have yours in? I'm planning a 200 gallon, can a possum wrasse stand up to tangs and more boisterous fish in a larger aquarium?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, that'd what I thought they did. What size tank do you have yours in? I'm planning a 200 gallon, can a possum wrasse stand up to tangs and more boisterous fish in a larger aquarium?

Mine is in an 80 gallon, and I’ve had possums in other tanks from 30g-220g over the years.

They can’t really stand up for themselves against anyone bullying them. But honestly most fish just ignore them completely because they are so weird and just keep to themselves. Plus, with plenty of rock work, it’ll always be safe and happy in the rocks.

Only problem that you’ll likely encounter in a tank that size is maybe not seeing the possum too often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back