Interesting 'New' LED Light

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is it already outdated?
It’s not outdated, the uno will be a lamp with one cluster and the Reefi extrem is with 2 cluster. Is like the radion XR30 and the XR15

I did not consider the different amount of "clusters". I have never before bought nice lighting and have been stressing over buying some for years actually. And then when I did finalize my purchase last night I was up binge reading about it late. Ignore a new buyers stress moment. And thanks for showing me the differences. There is no sarcasm meant here.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For 2 Extremes mounted in parallel to your tank length, you'll need to mount them about 12"-15" above the tank for good coverage toward the top ends. The ReeFlectors are designed with 90deg spread. Within the 90deg spread looking up toward the light will be very bright. Otherwise, with the LED recessed in the ReeFlectors, you won't get much glare outside of the 90deg spread. Because your tank is only 18" deep, with 2 Extremes you'll need to balance how much light spill out of the front and back with side to side coverage. Maybe mount them around 10" above the water. You'll have darker area at the very top ends of the tank and a little spillage in the front. The spillage will be noticeable only if you're sitting low and looking up toward the light within the 90deg spread.

As for waiting for the Uno, latest status is the metal core PCB will be completed next week follow by LEDs and components soldering. Heatsink, vapor cooling, and fan control designs are done. I'm finalizing the plastic shell designs with thread inserts then takes 30 days to create the plastic injection molding. Then testing, assembly, more testing, and packaging.

Kinda piggie-backing off, planning for a 4ft 120g mixed (planned) reef (4x2x2) would you suggest 2 extremes or 3 uno's for best coverage and minimizing shadowing? I have a negative space aquascape with a good bit of branching that somewhat shadow themselves.

20200920_150655.jpg

Also, is there an LED list/layout for the Uno somewhere? Might have missed it.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not consider the different amount of "clusters". I have never before bought nice lighting and have been stressing over buying some for years actually. And then when I did finalize my purchase last night I was up binge reading about it late. Ignore a new buyers stress moment. And thanks for showing me the differences. There is no sarcasm meant here.
I think you'll be super happy with the Reefis. Four to five months in, I am still extremely happy with my purchase. As a side note, I've had ATI fixtures, Orpheks, Radions, and Giesemanns. So far I like Reefi the best.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be super happy with the Reefis. Four to five months in, I am still extremely happy with my purchase. As a side note, I've had ATI fixtures, Orpheks, Radions, and Giesemanns. So far I like Reefi the best.

I have already discovered what great customer service you receive from them. I am very glad you reached out to me. Hearing you say this makes me feel good. Mine arrived today. Will be installing it tomorrow. So excited!

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to test a pre-production ReeFi Uno prototype for the last 6 weeks or so. Short story is that it is a really powerful, sharp looking, and well designed light. After having owned thee ReeFi Duo Extremes for more than a year, that's no surprise.

This little light is a whopping 180 Watts, with 36 leds, and the fan is whisper quiet. The ReeFlectors completely eliminate side glare, just like they do on the Duo Extremes.

Check out the newly designed copper heat pipes on the heat sink. This thing looks like a sports car when you get under the hood!

B3lAYVa.jpg

1WgEZRj.jpg

The software and web server are nearly flawless, like they are with the Duo Extreme. The light is also powerful. I'll post some par values later.

DiNnej3.jpg

cTyS6Gr.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just release the ReeFi Uno specs and started taking pre-order with 20% discount.

ReeFi_Uno_comparisons.jpg

Thank you, reef community, for all your support!

Daniel

Looks interesting Daniel! I may have to go with a bunch of these vs the DuoExtreme but I am curious on your take on the pretty sizable reduction in blue and royal blue from the DuoXtrm to the Uno with the again sizeable bump up in violet, deep violet and UV

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks interesting Daniel! I may have to go with a bunch of these vs the DuoExtreme but I am curious on your take on the pretty sizable reduction in blue and royal blue from the DuoXtrm to the Uno with the again sizeable bump up in violet, deep violet and UV

For SPS, you should think of 2 ReeFi Uno to replace 1 ReeFi Duo Extreme, and you get an increase in royal blue, violet, deep violet, and UV. For LPS/Softies, 1 ReeFi Uno can replace 1 ReeFi Duo Extreme but need to mount higher up, but this assume your tank is more squarish than long to prevent light spill out of the front and back.

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many reefi lights can replace my 250W X 2 MH LIGHTS system over my DT that's 60x24x24 inches?

Where to buy? what's their lifespan on avg?
Can someone advice Tia

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For SPS, you should think of 2 ReeFi Uno to replace 1 ReeFi Duo Extreme, and you get an increase in royal blue, violet, deep violet, and UV. For LPS/Softies, 1 ReeFi Uno can replace 1 ReeFi Duo Extreme but need to mount higher up, but this assume your tank is more squarish than long to prevent light spill out of the front and back.

Thanks for the reply! I see what you are saying, 2 of the Uno would be equivalent blue led # to 1 Extreme and more Royal and much more violet and uv. Will be 60" x 28" rectangle or can perhaps think of it as roughly 2 - 28" cubes side by side

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many reefi lights can replace my 250W X 2 MH LIGHTS system over my DT that's 60x24x24 inches?

Where to buy? what's their lifespan on avg?
Can someone advice Tia

As for lifespan... Independent of the output intensity and color spectrum binning, Cree also stress test of their LED series to get estimated longevity. However, longevity of the LEDs stated by the manufacture is assuming the LEDs are driven under their specified max current and tested at junction temperature of only 85C and 100C (which are way below their specified operating max temperature). So even if junction temperature is kept below manufacture specified max temp of 150C, longevity can be greatly reduced if temp is near the max. Also the LED intensity output will be greatly reduced as much as 40% when operate near manufacture specified max temp (check datasheet specs for exact intensity vs temp). Certain color spectrums are more susceptible reduce intensity efficiency by temperature. With ReeFi Duo Extremes and now ReeFi Uno, not only did I choose the highest intensity bin available for the color spectrum, I also designed the cooling solution to keep all LEDs junction temperature below 75C for the Extreme and below 90C for the Uno (monitored with temp sensors) with ambient temp of 30C at full power level continuously to maximize intensity and longevity.

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a clean looking lighting solution for my 20x20x16 tank I'm piecing together. Would a single reefi uno cover my needs reasonably well?

I'll be starting with mostly zoa's and lps and adding some easier to grow sps corals mostly as my experience and confidence builds.

Initially was going to run the 150w de halide setup I have but am concerned with placing the m81 ballast in a poorly ventilated stand next to a compact sump in addition to the heat a halide would add to our living room space and the glare.

I also would need to add supplemental led lighting as I would never be home during the shorter 6hr ish photo period I had planned to run the mh which could cost near the price of this pre order unit.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These do look very interesting! I do look forward to hearing more about your test!

The Reefi’s look like great lights, would elaborate on what specifically you like best about them?

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in the ReeFi® LED Uno for my Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25. Mostly drawn by the anti-glare properties as this light will sit adjacent to my seating area for a more and more looking to be permanent work from home office space. This specific tank though only uses 6mm thick glass. How would this best be mounted?

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefi’s look like great lights, would elaborate on what specifically you like best about them?
There are several reasons I love the Reefi and plan on using them exclusively over any new builds.

1) I like the fact that it has a glass cover rather than a plastic cover, which should hold up better with the violet/UV LEDs.

2) I absolutely love the anti-glare properties and can now sit/lay on my couch and look at the tank without being blinded. It's hard to capture this property on photo-video, but when you see it in person it's amazing. I can literally stare up at the fixtures while seated on my sofa and not see floaters.

3) The use of lime and amber is super innovative, and it visually gives me better color rendition than the use of WW/NW/CW LEDs.

4) There is a 3 year warranty on them, and they are built like a workhorse (robust fan, robust heat sink, and liquid-gas phase cooling).

5) Finally, my corals continue to do well (if not better) underneath them; I previously had a Giesemann MH/T5 combo over the tank.

lgibbs28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just preordered 3 of the UNO for my SCA 112 gallon (60x18x24). The SCA tank is eurobraced and I mistakenly ordered the arm mounts before realizing they won’t work. Daniel has been incredibly helpful and quick with his responses in helping me figure out a custom mount option and refunding me the difference in price from the mounts I previously ordered. Don’t even have my lights yet but the customer service has been enough to make me confident the lights will be great... plus the price is unbeatable.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested by the new reefi unos. My only reservation is that both my tanks are very rectangular, and the output from them is square. Is there any way that these could work on a rectangular tank? The tank is 36” by 12”, and there is a plastic strip down the center

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested by the new reefi unos. My only reservation is that both my tanks are very rectangular, and the output from them is square. Is there any way that these could work on a rectangular tank? The tank is 36” by 12”, and there is a plastic strip down the center

Hmm well if you were to use two, one on each side of the plastic divider, you could probably get good coverage. You might lose some light to spill from the front and back. Or you could mount them slightly lower but will probably have a little bit of darker areas on the outer edges. If you go lower though to reduce spill out the front and back you might need to be cautious of excess light directly below the lights. Personally I would go with the recommended light height and just live with the fact that some light will be lost because of the 18 x 12 rectangular area each light is over.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm well if you were to use two, one on each side of the plastic divider, you could probably get good coverage. You might lose some light to spill from the front and back. Or you could mount them slightly lower but will probably have a little bit of darker areas on the outer edges. If you go lower though to reduce spill out the front and back you might need to be cautious of excess light directly below the lights. Personally I would go with the recommended light height and just live with the fact that some light will be lost because of the 18 x 12 rectangular area each light is over.
I don’t mind a little light spill, I’m just not sure about the coverage on the sides. I’m a little worried about shading from the rocks, but a measuring tape should clear that up. Thanks for the help!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind a little light spill, I’m just not sure about the coverage on the sides. I’m a little worried about shading from the rocks, but a measuring tape should clear that up. Thanks for the help!
BRS has found that spacing the lights so they are slightly towards the outer edge of the tank and not equidistant from the sides and each other produces a more uniform coverage because the light in the center between the two fixtures is comprised of light coming form both fixtures vs the far left and right sides which is primarily lit by the fixture on each side. Daniel can probably give you more specific recommendations for spacing and height based on your tank dimensions and the types of corals you would like to primarily keep. Maybe add a strip of reefbrites along the back to help with shadows?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back