Interesting Test Kit thread

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still doesnt really sow which is accurate just who gave better reviews lol and her BRS review of the mag test is incorrect they did not give that red sea mag test a 5 rating they said it sucked like most other mag tests .. but they liked the other red sea pro tests

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Accuracy is the most important and then ease of use.
Salifert has not been acurate to me. They are easy to use but I have tested one batch to the next and got different readings with alk and calcium.
I had a calcium test kit that was way higher than the last and I sent Habib of salifert a note asking what was going on? He said that salifert had changed the test kit to read total calcium..
What? what was I measuring before? LOL that was a long time ago but that made not trust them anymore.

I would really like to see Boomer or Randy put a test kit review up.

Last edited:

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, who cares about all the stuff he put in those charts. He never tested accuracy of each test. That would really be a hard thing to do without lab grade supplies for a standard test bed. Most of what he did is just using someone elses opinion on the test kits, lol....

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbiest test kit are what they are and the results are not to be taken for Lab Grade results, The best indicator of proper levels is the condition of your coral along with testing with a test you feel gives you a guideline to go by. IMO Hanna has the most accurate in Po4 KH and Salifert/Redsea for Ca and Potassium. I have pretty much given up testing for Mg as long as you do water changes with a quality salt you will be in the proper range just like most other trace elements.
I must say the Charts look impressive but they are really useless in any fact based comparisons of brands.
Your tank will tell you when something is not right by the way your coral look and grow, And from there testing can be useful to find what's out of balance. JMO
Bill

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped testing for Mg too since mine always says it's 1600+ using both Red Sea and salifert. Everything seems to be doing fine so I guess my tank likes high Mg.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back