Internal overflow box

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am drilling my new tank and plan on having 2 overflows with 1 return (never done a drilled tank before, just over the top overflow). Do I have to have an overflow on the outside of the tank, or can I do everything with an internal surface skimmer box? I plan to leave one bulkhead open (with a scream), then use a 90 elbow with a short stand pipe for the emergency drain. Is this going to work, or do I need to do this in an outside the tank box? Just trying to do everything right :) I attached a diagram of what I have in mind, I am not an artist.

Overflow.jpg

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I’m assuming it’s not too big since you have only one return. Would you want it to take up space in your tank? That’s the question to answer or else yes as long as it has a water tight seal around it you can do inside or outside.

OP
OP
blooper01

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I’m assuming it’s not too big since you have only one return. Would you want it to take up space in your tank? That’s the question to answer or else yes as long as it has a water tight seal around it you can do inside or outside.
Tank is a 150

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many inches is your drain? And how much water do you want to cycle with the return?

OP
OP
blooper01

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many inches is your drain? And how much water do you want to cycle with the return?
I have 2 1" bulkheads for the drain and 1 1" for the return. I have not drilled anything yet so changes can be made if needed. Not sure on the flow yet, my return pump is rated for 2500 GPH at 4' head.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 1" bulkheads for the drain and 1 1" for the return. I have not drilled anything yet so changes can be made if needed. Not sure on the flow yet, my return pump is rated for 2500 GPH at 4' head.
I think 1” drain should be fine. I would go 1.25 or 1.5 if you can. But return of 1 1” is too little and your running the risk of no return flow/flood if one return is clogged. I would do 2, 1” returns with a 1.25” drain and at least 1.25 emergency

OP
OP
blooper01

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1” drain should be fine. I would go 1.25 or 1.5 if you can. But return of 1 1” is too little and your running the risk of no return flow/flood if one return is clogged. I would do 2, 1” returns with a 1.25” drain and at least 1.25 emergency
So do 2 return pumps?

OP
OP
blooper01

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1" bulkheads and special colored PVC to match my sump, guess I screwed up :(

Back