Internal overflow tower (box whatever it's called lol)

MikeandDee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 180 gallon tank with the internal overflow towers taken out. Previous owner was planning on covering the bottom holes, back drilling and going with a ghost external setup.

Over, I would like to have the two overflow towers, so that my tank can sit flush against the wall, less pvc pipe needed with a straight drop from the bottom holes. Easier access for maintenance if and when needed,

Problem I am having is finding anyone that sells the internal bottom overflow towers. Tried all popular websites, and glass cages suggested drilling the back and doing a ghost, which I don't want for above stated reason.

Any where in town where I can buy one at 24 inches high... anybody have a 3D printer that maybe able to do this. Should I get acrylic from lowes or Home Depot, have it cut to size and silicone adhesive the pieces together. If I do the later, will it be sound enough to handle the water pressure of the 180?

Any comments and suggestions will greatly be appreciated.... Of course if you have some internal overflow,boxes at 22-24 inches high, I will greatly trade cash for them....

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 180 gallon tank with the internal overflow towers taken out. Previous owner was planning on covering the bottom holes, back drilling and going with a ghost external setup.

Over, I would like to have the two overflow towers, so that my tank can sit flush against the wall, less pvc pipe needed with a straight drop from the bottom holes. Easier access for maintenance if and when needed,

Problem I am having is finding anyone that sells the internal bottom overflow towers. Tried all popular websites, and glass cages suggested drilling the back and doing a ghost, which I don't want for above stated reason.

Any where in town where I can buy one at 24 inches high... anybody have a 3D printer that maybe able to do this. Should I get acrylic from lowes or Home Depot, have it cut to size and silicone adhesive the pieces together. If I do the later, will it be sound enough to handle the water pressure of the 180?

Any comments and suggestions will greatly be appreciated.... Of course if you have some internal overflow,boxes at 22-24 inches high, I will greatly trade cash for them....
@MikeandDee this is tough. The tower would be made out of glass with an Acrylic cover. We can prep and ship all the parts for you to assemble. This can be challenging; measurements, assembly, fit and finish by doing this remote. A sure way to get this done, is for us the have the tank on site. Then this is an easy project. This is really something to talk through if you would like to explore these options. Thanks so much for reaching out to us.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone reading this again, I've thought of this alot as I hate the dual wall tower in the megaflow 90 I have. Its shape is hard to clean as well as the texture which one strand of bryopsis will root in and spread and nothing will get roots out of pores in texture except draining whole tank. Andcwho knows what gets in that thin little channel of the tower wall that you cant ever clean!
I was thinking of glass tower with thin black acrylic u shaped wrap/cover so if it ever needed cleaned you just pull up the cover and remove to clean with things you cant add to tank (peroxide & citric)

But yeah, getting a great seal on acrylic towers to glass is not that reliable and it is your fail safe if your bulkheads ever leak..otherwise the whole tank will drain.. this is why glass overflow is the way to go since silicone & glass are a strong reliable bond.
If you DO go the acrylic route the safest bet is to make a full fused box tower with top and bottom.. except top piece has a hole and is basically just a support lip for strength. But this way you can cut out holes to sit around bulkheads on bottom and give more surface area for bottom seal.. but the important part is the back...if the seals loosen on back of tank it wont mean water getting into tower because its a 4 sided box.
The back holes & ghost overflow really are safest and easiest.. you just have to have it off the wall but you can make tall thin panels that match your stand and connect with piano hinges on stand so it hides the gap to the wall and allows acess to plumbing. But really shouldnt need access as pipes should just be straight pieces down to sump and have your gate valve on last piece of straight pipe of drain above filter socks, which has always worked for me and allowed for easy tuning.

JimmyBiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your still in need I have a number of a guy near Atlanta who builds custom acrylic tanks. Let me know if you need his info.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back