Internet Sales Tax

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be kidding this is ridiculous. I got hit with it on Amazon which I had already heard about but I guess its anywhere you order from now online. I just put together a Liveaquaria cart and got whacked with the sales tax. Next thing you know person to person paypal will get taxed too!

I still can't believe our Gov go re-elected, wasn't the first term crazy enough? I can't stand hearing people tell everyone to go out and vote no matter what. If you don't care enough to do some homework before you vote, then stay home. I can't wait to leave this awful state and move south.

Sorry rant over. :yell:

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Amazon started collecting CT sales tax last year as part of a deal to build a huge warehouse in Ct.

Live Aquaria I am not sure about
but
Live Aquaria was owned by Fosters & Smith who last year was bought out by Petco. We all know Petco has retail establishments in the state so they would need to collect sales tax

and about the Governor, you put it too nicely

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now if your trying to get free shipping on an order from LA or DD you have add another 15 or so bucks in tax into your calculations. Would be nice if they had free shipping to store for livestock or dry goods, but I doubt that will ever happen.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been talking about this for years.. and now the fcc has deemed the net a utility. Give it time there will be a federal and state tax in goods......its coming....

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one wants to hear this but it's actually a good thing for the local fish stores.
It takes away the sales tax disadvantage they face.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be kidding this is ridiculous. I got hit with it on Amazon which I had already heard about but I guess its anywhere you order from now online. I just put together a Liveaquaria cart and got whacked with the sales tax. Next thing you know person to person paypal will get taxed too!

I still can't believe our Gov go re-elected, wasn't the first term crazy enough? I can't stand hearing people tell everyone to go out and vote no matter what. If you don't care enough to do some homework before you vote, then stay home. I can't wait to leave this awful state and move south.

Sorry rant over. :yell:
I live in Florida and just got hit with tax on an order I placed with Dr's Foster Smith. Thankfully I was still able to get free shipping and 15% off the order so I still came out ahead. I only hope This Will not be the same with all the other online stores

Aqua-Dreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Blitzie!!! Well since many of our prices are the same or less than live aquaria, and you can see the items in person and see fish eat and swim before purchasing, I guess this is good for all of us locals trying to compete with internet giants that just want your $$ and don't care about you or your tank. Personal face-to-face business is going to win, I for one am thrilled that internet sales tax is beginning... Now when we match internet prices on lighting and other goods for our customers, there won't be the "no tax" advantage to the consumer of buying online vs locally any more. Besides, seeing a live coral in person is different. Rarely does it ever look like the picture makes it look. I don't live in ct so i can't comment on your governor, but to all local retail folks across a multitude of industries, leveling the sales tax playing field is a must. Amazon will eat us all alive. They are predatory and out to eliminate all retail, even Walmart is scared of the big A. As much as you love to shop online, nothing beats the thrill of hitting the brick-and-mortar fish store and seeing all the fish and corals in person.. Two thumbs up, and cheers to supporting local business!

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the only plus, getting people to support the LFS's a little bit more. I try to as much as possible anyhow, but I admittedly do a lot of LA orders as well because it's just hard to beat a 14 day guarantee on fish, and sometimes 30 day on inverts.

My problem is that it's going to become EVERYTHING on the web getting taxed. Including ebay seller's like myself and who knows where it ends? I happen to do almost all shopping online aside from the grocery store so this is a big hit for me.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked when I tried to place a order with dfs. When you add shipping and sales tax on top of your order there is no advantage in buying from them. These online vendors are going to have to reduced there shipping charges Or they are going to lose some of there business.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back