Interpret these Red Sea results

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think the nitrates are? Personally I think 2ppm. But maybe off the scale since it’s purple and not pink?
28C471A9-75A3-433B-AC5B-EFFEFBE3BDEC.jpeg
5A4099ED-FC6B-4505-A12D-0F7927624005.jpeg
48AF2EDF-0FAB-4E31-8E93-5F4CEDB0478C.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its nearly impossible using the camera to compare. Is there a reason you're asking? Maybe someone could help with that?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way - based on your original question - I agree - off the scale. or some kind of error - because the colors (at least to my view) - do not match at all any of the examples you're showing.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nearly impossible using the camera to compare. Is there a reason you're asking? Maybe someone could help with that?
Nobody is currently home haha. This is my first time having detectable nitrates with this kit and wanted to see if purple is normal rather than the pink

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody is currently home haha. This is my first time having detectable nitrates with this kit and wanted to see if purple is normal rather than the pink
I actually gave up on those becasue - it was always impossible for me to see the colors. lol... But - to me they do not seem to match.. In any case - if everything in the tank 'looks good' - its not a sudden concern....:)

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually gave up on those becasue - it was always impossible for me to see the colors. lol... But - to me they do not seem to match.. In any case - if everything in the tank 'looks good' - its not a sudden concern....:)
I would agree on both those points. Everything looks fine and I’m actually happy to see nutrients finally. I’m testing Po4 as well to see what comes up. As long as they’re not crazy I won’t worry. I long to find a good color matching kit

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The colors are not supposed to be exact - it's a guidance. If it's off the scale - you can do high range. But since you are in single digits, high-range will get you close to 0 reading.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The colors are not supposed to be exact - it's a guidance. If it's off the scale - you can do high range. But since you are in single digits, high-range will get you close to 0 reading.
I am not sure thats correct - but - I hate Redsea tests. The colors are supposed to be 'exact' or close - not a complete shade different? But again - to me its extremely difficult to make that judgement with a camera

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not sure thats correct - but - I hate Redsea tests. The colors are supposed to be 'exact' or close - not a complete shade different? But again - to me its extremely difficult to make that judgement with a camera

I've been using these kits for 5 years, ran through multiple re-fill kits already, and re-confirmed with other kits + ICP. I compare the intensity, not the color. Yes, sometimes it's a little more purple. Happens.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using these kits for 5 years, ran through multiple re-fill kits already, and re-confirmed with other kits + ICP. I compare the intensity, not the color. Yes, sometimes it's a little more purple. Happens.
You might very well be right. To me it suggests - an error doing the test - or - poor color rendering with the camera - or something else. IMHO it should not look like that. Just my opinion. In any case - does anyone care if their nitrate is 2 vs 4?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious does anyone have any documentation or information as to using the 'intensity' vs. the color. Since these are colorometric assays, both the color and intensity should match from what I understand. As I said before - I literally could not use the tests - but it didnt have anything to do with the shade of color - instead it related to the fact that the intensity often was so close - it was always 'in between'. IMHO - if the color does not match the shade - the test is invalid (there is either an error, expired test, or some interfering chemical) - unless someone can show me something similar? I mean otherwise they would just use grey as the color. if it is just matching 'intensity' - right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not know if the test is accurate, a test like this is purely an intensity test. Slight differences in color are not part of the quantitative chemistry. It may be related to lighting, misprinting the card, degraded dye, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I do not know if the test is accurate, a test like this is purely an intensity test. Slight differences in color are not part of the quantitative chemistry. It may be related to lighting, misprinting the card, degraded dye, etc.
Thanks Randy!!!

Back