Introducing A New Fish Into An Established Tank Experiment

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to add another fish to my collection but I know my tank is full of bullies. Even though I currently have green chromis I noticed the other day when I added 2 more they had to go through an almost hazing process for 2 days. Now my last fish I added was a very small file fish and he was accepted by the other fish with general ease but my dottie back killed not one but two blennies? Blennies don't bother anyone???

To the point: I located a photo of a Hippo of actual size I planned to purchase and printed it out and taped it to the side of the tank, 24 hours late my yellow tang was till trying to kill it? Then I tried a Bicolor Angel - 24 hours later tang still trying to kill it. I thought well Coral Beauties are tough.... tang not interested but 24 hours later my pygmy was still attacking the the glass.

So currently I have a Flame Angel taped to the glass and at first all the Alpha fish were acting aggressive to it but this morning only the Dotty back is still trying to antagonize it. I moved it a few time next to the pygmy angles territory but at this time he is not even interested. So I am going to set out and find a Flame Angle which could take up to a week or more. In the mean while I have added another cut out of the Flame Angel fish in hopes that this will make the acclimation into the tank easier. I will follow up with the results, I am hoping that this may help me and others in the future when selecting a new fish $$$.
IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

OP
OP
Dennco2000

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the bottom photo you can't the fish taped to the glass but you can see how the other fish go after the new kid on the block right after taping it ti the glass. I have since added and additional fish on to the glass and moved them both around. The dottie back seems to be losing interest a little as well. I have no idea if this will help when I add the new fish? I guess we will see. I wonder if anyone else has ever tried this?

Thanks
Dennis

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting idea. I know some people use a clear container to introduce their new fish to established tank mates. That might help as well

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting idea. I know some people use a clear container to introduce their new fish to established tank mates. That might help as well
Yeah, I use an acclimation box, after quarantine.
Recently added a flasher wrasse, the clowns paid no attention to it in the acclimation box. However they were keeping it in a corner of the tank on release, so the clowns went into the acclimation box for a couple days. Everybody is released and happy now. [emoji4]
865a58cfc84ad6afe9420756acf08a89.jpg

OP
OP
Dennco2000

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't found my new fish yet, I am having second thoughts on the flame angel fish because its 50/50 they can be coral nibblers. I overfeed but that's still no guarantee. For the most part I only have GSP and Zenias... and lots of it! I also have some hammer, mushroom, zoa, etc but thats not a deal breaker.

OP
OP
Dennco2000

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conclusion:
So as I said before the dotty was the only one still showing aggression towards the cutout and only on occasion.
I added the new flame angelfish to the tank and everyone in the tank including my friendly clown whipped it's red little butt until I had to close all the curtains and turn all the lights out... BTW the dotty back had no interest what so ever??? By the next day only my tang (who fights with no one) and my dwarf angel where just this side of killing their new tank mate, as well as other established brutes taking a swipe now and then.

Saving grace!!! I found a mirror about 10"x 10" and used my cleaner magnet to hold it against the end of the tank.
Almost immediately everyone had an identical nemesis, adversary, heck I dont know but my poor angel finally got a break. Tattered fins, and worn to a frazzle 4 hours later it was venturing from it's corner behind the plumbing. 24 hours later nibbling and 3 days later eating well but it does go to bed early as to why I didn't get a good picture this evening.

On a strange note I also added 3 small domino's which my clown (once again very friendly) promptly killed 2 of the 3 and has no concerns about the 3rd one (now feeding and already getting an attitude.

So the moral... I will probably go back to the isolation tank but the mirror now has a permanent home underneath the tank to assist new introductions LOL.

IMG_1157.JPG

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea - sounds like the fish were a bit too smart, though.

Have you tried doing lights-out and rearranging the furniture (rock work)? I introduced a hippo tang to my tank and had the tank completely dark for 3 days along with moving some of the rock work around. Don't know if it was because of this or in spite of this, but everyone liked Dory.

OP
OP
Dennco2000

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good notes, rearranging the tank does make sense. I pretty much done with this tank but building another so I may try that.

Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back