Introducing a new goby

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 failed attempts with a Randall's goby and high fin goby, I ordered a Yasha goby, which should be delivered to me next Tuesday. Since I don't have the space for a quarantine tank, introducing new fish is always a bit of a risk. My Randall's goby died 3 weeks after introducing and the high fin came half dead out of the bag unfortunately. Ordered the Yasha from a different store, which is known to thoroughly quarantine their fish. I have never had any issues with their fish before as opposed to my LFS.

So... Assuming the fish comes in healthy, anything I should do to properly introduce him to the tank, other than a quick 30 minute drip? Would it help anything at all to keep him in an acclimation box for a few days, or would that only create even more stress? I've got a pistol shrimp already, so my second option would be to release it right at the shrimp's burrow and hope for the best.

I have an azure damsel, 2 flasher wrasses, a tailspot and midas blenny. Although the tailspot and damsel are a bit territorial towards another, I have never had any aggression issues. The pistol shrimp's burrow is far away from their territories as well.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not going the quarantine route, sounds right. Never used acclimation boxes - but I don't have any aggressive fish to worry about. That's only reason I'd use one. If your damsel doesn't cause issues, should be fine. Good luck! Don't have your goby species, but my yellow watchman found the pistol within a few hours and within a couple days were inseparable.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not going the quarantine route, sounds right. Never used acclimation boxes - but I don't have any aggressive fish to worry about. That's only reason I'd use one. If your damsel doesn't cause issues, should be fine. Good luck! Don't have your goby species, but my yellow watchman found the pistol within a few hours and within a couple days were inseparable.
Cool, thanks!
My damsel is a model citizen, so I'm not expecting any problems :)

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is being shipped to you then I wouldn’t recommend the drip acclimation in his own water.

if the salt matches your tank then float the bag while closed for temperature adjustment only. If it doesn’t match then get small container with lid and make water that matches the shipping water and drip acclimate from there.

the water in the bag is likely to have ammonia. Exposing it to air will make the ammonia more toxic.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
Received my Yasha yesterday around 9 pm, float acclimated for 15 minutes then put her/him in. Right out of the bag it showed the same weird symptoms my nematodes showed when I first released it. Spitting motions and lying in one spot on the sand bed. Fortunately, it survived the night, looks great and is swimming around. No more spitting motions. Perhaps it was some sort of shock suddenly going from dirty shipping water to clean tank water with plenty of oxygen?

20201230_101034.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back