Introducing biodiversity without live rock, sand

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon nano, 3-4wks old, started with 10lbs CaribSea Life Rock and 10lbs Ocean Direct sand. My LFS won't sell me live rock on account of the pieces won't fit in my tank (some of them definitely would have, but they wouldn't hear it). They won't sell me live sand either for reasons they won't really specify. I only want some rubble or something to seed the tank with so I really can't justify the cost of online purchase+shipping. Wondering what I can do to get some biodiversity going as the next closest LFS is a ~4hr round trip on a good traffic day

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were local I’d give you some that have been sitting in my filter chamber for a couple years. Atlanta is large, Im sure you can find some like minded people. Good luck!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1/2 cup of sand is enough. So is a smaller rock.

Probably best that your LFS are idiots since much rock at the LFS is just wet and not really live. You can get rubble and nano packs from different vendors. You can also get a larger rock and drop it on the concrete or smash it with a hammer.

Atlanta is a large city. There is probably a reef club or other LFS in the area.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon nano, 3-4wks old, started with 10lbs CaribSea Life Rock and 10lbs Ocean Direct sand. My LFS won't sell me live rock on account of the pieces won't fit in my tank (some of them definitely would have, but they wouldn't hear it). They won't sell me live sand either for reasons they won't really specify. I only want some rubble or something to seed the tank with so I really can't justify the cost of online purchase+shipping. Wondering what I can do to get some biodiversity going as the next closest LFS is a ~4hr round trip on a good traffic day

1 - Rock can be easily broken with a hammer
2 - it only takes a half cup (or less) of sand
I would find another LFS

Or simply a local reef club, or another local reefer to grab some sand or rubble from.

Edit: see all of this already mentioned.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order a CUC from Reefcleaners and ask them to include a bunch of empty shells for hermits. Include some of the little clams and so on in the order also. Maybe a little macro algae too.

Every critter and wet shell will bring in some microbiome. For the cost of a few pounds of live rock you’ll have decent biodiversity and a CUC.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest KP aquatic. Ask if they have any rubble they can include. Very diverse cuc available.
That’s the first thing to pop in my head but OP doesn’t want to pay for shipping for such a small amount.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off what's wrong with that LFS? Seriously, they sound like pricks. I would avoid whatever employee wouldn't sell you sand and rock or complain to the owner if it wasn't them.

You can get rubble from top shelf aquatics (seeded biomedia) and from aquabiomics).

Otherwise, LPS coral is essentially live rock. Microbes and what not come in from macroalgaes, inverts, coral, fish, etc. so it's going to get in there one way or another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order a CUC from Reefcleaners and ask them to include a bunch of empty shells for hermits. Include some of the little clams and so on in the order also. Maybe a little macro algae too.

Every critter and wet shell will bring in some microbiome. For the cost of a few pounds of live rock you’ll have decent biodiversity and a CUC.
I thought about this too but didn't know if it'd be safe to introduce them to a sterile tank. I'm consistently reading 0ppm NH3/NO2 but my nitrates are high at ~20 (haven't done a water change yet though). Haven't been able to test my PO4 yet because my LFS charges out the **** for them. Overall just not sure when it's okay to add livestock

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off what's wrong with that LFS? Seriously, they sound like pricks. I would avoid whatever employee wouldn't sell you sand and rock or complain to the owner if it wasn't them.

You can get rubble from top shelf aquatics (seeded biomedia) and from aquabiomics).

Otherwise, LPS coral is essentially live rock. Microbes and what not come in from macroalgaes, inverts, coral, fish, etc. so it's going to get in there one way or another.
It was the owner. They also advertised the Liferock to me as live rock. I knew what I was buying wasn't live rock but they would have had me believe that. Maybe it's for the best. Seems like they always have a tank or two 'under observation', and I know it's not QT because it's never the same one. Also sold me saltwater that may as well have been brackish... 1.019 at 70*F and it had mud and dog hair in the bottom. Ugh.

Anyways, rant aside --- I was under the impression it wasn't safe to add any animals until the microbiome is already established? Otherwise I would have started stocking already. Reading nitrates and no ammonia so I think it's cycled, but I'm not sure if I should buy a different brand of tests to double check (mine are API).

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this too but didn't know if it'd be safe to introduce them to a sterile tank. I'm consistently reading 0ppm NH3/NO2 but my nitrates are high at ~20 (haven't done a water change yet though). Haven't been able to test my PO4 yet because my LFS charges out the **** for them. Overall just not sure when it's okay to add livestock
I would wait to add them once you begin to have algae so they don’t starve and slowly increase numbers as the need increases.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not safe to add animals until the tank is cycled, yes, but you don't have to get the beneficial algae and loads of microorganisms going just to have fish and hardy corals. You just need it cycled. Though snails do need to wait until you have some algae going.

There must be plenty of other reefers in Atlanta. A handful of sand and some empty frag plugs from an established tank will bring some stuff in nicely, if you can find someone.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. Budgets are tighter than ever.
Not even just budget, I can't even find a listing for a small enough amount. I already have 10lbs of rock, I have no use for an 8lb+ shipment and I understand it's not economical to ship such small quantities. I'd be more willing to pay if it wouldn't give me a ton of surplus

EDIT: My post office also loses lots of stuff. I've never had a live animal shipment get here on time, and they usually end up stuck in my leasing office's package locker.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait to add them once you begin to have algae so they don’t starve and slowly increase numbers as the need increases.
That's what I thought --- so it brings back the same question though, how do I get the algae without having to buy loads of different cultures?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be exactly what you are looking for.
70B4A414-9A69-4125-A7AE-8D2FDBE70DB2.png
919D28DE-E3DB-4EF0-8CA7-DCD50BE40308.png
41C2CD7B-CF3D-42C4-A7CE-57126B566A19.png
7C50637B-2DB8-4B88-93C9-754BAC41571C.png
2A669744-8DAC-4116-A463-A08C40C59B50.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back