Introducing biodiversity without live rock, sand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do understand that sentiment and you're totally right. On the other hand, I knew the dimensions and could tell they would fit, and if not I could have smashed it up. They didn't even ask for my tank dimensions to know it wouldn't fit so I guess they double as mediums!
Frankly, the answer the LFS gave you does not make logical sense from any standpoint. I would ask them again for their logic specifically - I would love to hear it. Additionally - why it takes 8 months- 2 years to stock a reef tank.

PS - I won't hold my breath for a good response since apparently they confused 'liferock' with liverock. Now - here is a possible answer - how much was the 'liferock' per pound compared to their 'live rock'?

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, the answer the LFS gave you does not make logical sense from any standpoint. I would ask them again for their logic specifically - I would love to hear it. Additionally - why it takes 8 months- 2 years to stock a reef tank.

PS - I won't hold my breath for a good response since apparently they confused 'liferock' with liverock. Now - here is a possible answer - how much was the 'liferock' per pound compared to their 'live rock'?
Lol I'll be sure to inquire next time. I want to clarify I'm not at all upset with the Liferock. It actually worked out cheaper than if I had bought wet rock since it was pre-measured at 10lbs, and marginally cheaper per pound. To the store owner's credit, she unpackaged all the rocks so I could see what they looked like first, without me asking her to. I really appreciated that. Easily could have sold me a blind box.

I knew it wasn't live rock, but I like it much better visually than plain white base rock. The owner also told me the Liferock is more porous which I actually believe to be true; very lightweight and easy to scape with. It seemed to speed up my cycle. The pieces are nicely shaped too.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol I'll be sure to inquire next time. I want to clarify I'm not at all upset with the Liferock. It actually worked out cheaper than if I had bought wet rock since it was pre-measured at 10lbs, and marginally cheaper per pound. To the store owner's credit, she unpackaged all the rocks so I could see what they looked like first, without me asking her to. I really appreciated that. Easily could have sold me a blind box.

I knew it wasn't live rock, but I like it much better visually than plain white base rock. The owner also told me the Liferock is more porous which I actually believe to be true; very lightweight and easy to scape with. It seemed to speed up my cycle. The pieces are nicely shaped too.
You wil do fine

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cautiously optimistic since I know chain store fish can be a gamble, but he seems healthy and is a stunning fish for only $30.
Major sigh of relief; offered a couple flakes to see if he'd take them and I've never had a fish eat so ravenously lol! He got so excited he started trying to eat the spots of salt creep outside the tank :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Major sigh of relief; offered a couple flakes to see if he'd take them and I've never had a fish eat so ravenously lol! He got so excited he started trying to eat the spots of salt creep outside the tank :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Frankly many fish (if not provided something they do not like - will eat flake or other foods It may not be the 'best' according to some - for long-term but its positive for short term

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly many fish (if not provided something they do not like - will eat flake or other foods It may not be the 'best' according to some - for long-term but its positive for short term
Don't worry, I'm well aware! I don't feed any of my fish flakes as a staple. I had them on hand from cycling and didn't want to waste frozen food without knowing what his appetite was like yet. I forgot my frozen shrimp had bloodworms mixed in, so I'm going out right now to buy him some fresh new goodies. :)

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smoke! A LFS that refused to sell you something??? Nice to find an ethical LFS!
Reef Shac in Atlanta have refused to sell me stuff every time I go there. Always a wag of the finger on anything they think I'll kill and directed toward anything they think will be fine. I'm brand new to this hobby so a horrible reefer but everything they've sold me has lived! Even a montipora digitata which has grown magnificently in what must be less than ideal conditions.

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Magnapinna - you could try Premier Aquatics - they have a stack of wet live rock from what must be from a very old aquarium at $2 a lb. I was there this weekend and found 40 cents worth (1/5th of a pound??) covered with burgundy discosoma with blue dots and a yellow mouth. Previously I've bought rocks covered in zoa's and paly's, a green rhodactis (my favorite so far). They have bristle worms on them, I have copepods running around and a bit of hair algae but all healthy stuff really and nothing has been harmful in my two tanks.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnapinna - you could try Premier Aquatics - they have a stack of wet live rock from what must be from a very old aquarium at $2 a lb. I was there this weekend and found 40 cents worth (1/5th of a pound??) covered with burgundy discosoma with blue dots and a yellow mouth. Previously I've bought rocks covered in zoa's and paly's, a green rhodactis (my favorite so far). They have bristle worms on them, I have copepods running around and a bit of hair algae but all healthy stuff really and nothing has been harmful in my two tanks.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely stop by sometime! Fortunately biodiversity isn't a big concern of mine anymore. A bacterial bloom just cleared itself up; now I'm starting to see diatoms on the sand which my blue leg hermits are happily munching on. I plan to take a microscope sample a little later to see if any other life is establishing itself. I could fit one more small piece of rock in here though, if I could get a little piece like that from Premier Aquatics that would be perfect.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys were right, adding livestock totally did the trick. Today I noticed what I thought was debris getting blown by the current along the sand. Looked a little closer and realized it was moving on its own. Tons of copepods!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tada! It's a bit of a magic trick, isn't it? They'll get in there somehow, and then, like glitter, you'll never be rid of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back