OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys --- well, I made it to Petco last night and picked myself a beautiful little ocellaris. Acclimation stressed him out a little, presumably because my salinity was a bit higher than theirs, but he bounced back quickly. I haven't tried to feed him yet but am going to soon now that he's settled in. He was interested in watching me do water tests last night. He's also been digging around in the sand and occasionally pecking at the rock. Very cute and fun to watch!

I'm cautiously optimistic since I know chain store fish can be a gamble, but he seems healthy and is a stunning fish for only $30. Sorry for the quality, didn't want to bug him with the lights :]

17-1.jpg
17-2.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys --- well, I made it to Petco last night and picked myself a beautiful little ocellaris. Acclimation stressed him out a little, presumably because my salinity was a bit higher than theirs, but he bounced back quickly. I haven't tried to feed him yet but am going to soon now that he's settled in. He was interested in watching me do water tests last night. He's also been digging around in the sand and occasionally pecking at the rock. Very cute and fun to watch!

I'm cautiously optimistic since I know chain store fish can be a gamble, but he seems healthy and is a stunning fish for only $30. Sorry for the quality, didn't want to bug him with the lights :]

17-1.jpg
17-2.jpg
Curious - did you QT him? and PS - nice fish - its funny how the pattern on both sides is quite different

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - did you QT him? and PS - nice fish - its funny how the pattern on both sides is quite different
I didn't quarantine as I don't think I plan on adding any other fish, and since nothing else is in there it won't be difficult to go fallow if I must. I'll be keeping him alone for at least the standard 30 days. All future additions will absolutely be QTed.

I think I recall seeing this fish there last time I went, which was when I bought the tank itself. I took pictures so I'll have to compare the patterns. But if so, I at least know he hasn't come down with anything in that time. (Edit: it was indeed him)

I'm so in love with his coloration! They look like cow spots from the top down.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't quarantine as I don't think I plan on adding any other fish, and since nothing else is in there it won't be difficult to go fallow if I must. I'll be keeping him alone for at least the standard 30 days. All future additions will absolutely be QTed.

I think I recall seeing this fish there last time I went, which was when I bought the tank itself. I took pictures so I'll have to compare the patterns. But if so, I at least know he hasn't come down with anything in that time.

I'm so in love with his coloration! They look like cow spots from the top down.
Also curious - what salinity was the fish in - and what's the salinity of your tank.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious - what salinity was the fish in - and what's the salinity of your tank.
Theirs was 27ppt; mine is 30ppt. I bumped it down from 34ppt before acclimating in hopes of reducing stress. All other parameters matched.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Theirs was 27ppt; mine is 30ppt. I bumped it down from 34ppt before acclimating in hopes of reducing stress. All other parameters matched.
Interesting. So you basically went from 1.020 to 1.023 - which is a bit of a jump - I would carefully increase it after a week or so - to 1.025 if you can.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS won't sell me live rock on account of the pieces won't fit in my tank (some of them definitely would have, but they wouldn't hear it).

Holy smoke! A LFS that refused to sell you something??? Nice to find an ethical LFS!

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So you basically went from 1.020 to 1.023 - which is a bit of a jump - I would carefully increase it after a week or so - to 1.025 if you can.
I planned on it. I wanted to reduce it more for him but I ran out of RO/DI and didn't want to add tap. I drip acclimated ~2hrs, 1 drop/sec for the first ~1.5hr then bumped up to 3 drops/sec once most of the store's water had been cycled out. He didn't act any more stressed than I would expect any new fish to so hopefully it wasn't too tough on him!

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smoke! A LFS that refused to sell you something??? Nice to find an ethical LFS!
The only ethical part of this exchange was that their live rock might as well have been a marimo ball with how overrun by hair algae it was :grimacing-face: They advertised "Life"rock by Caribsea as proper live rock to me so don't get too excited haha

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ethical part of this exchange was that their live rock might as well have been a marimo ball with how overrun by hair algae it was :grimacing-face: They advertised "Life"rock by Caribsea as proper live rock to me so don't get too excited haha

Rain on my parade, why don't ya... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty sure the LFS that refused to sell someone live rock because the pieces were "too big" for the tank and said you can't add any livestock to a new saltwater tank until it's 8 months old is not ethical. Any decent LFS should be delighted to sell a new keeper live rock, that's a great start.

OP- nice find! He's a cute little guy, and $30 is a really nice price for a black storm. Cute lil guy. Who'll eventually be a cute lil gal, kept alone- clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, and the largest of a group will turn female if no females are present.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP- nice find! He's a cute little guy, and $30 is a really nice price for a black storm. Cute lil guy. Who'll eventually be a cute lil gal, kept alone- clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, and the largest of a group will turn female if no females are present.
Thanks! The funny part is they actually had another black storm on display for $99. I thought they looked exactly the same but there wasn't actually a label on this one, so they marked it as a black misbar and honored the sale price (reg $40). I'd never heard of black storms previously.

The employee who helped me seemed too knowledgeable to get them confused, but another worker had already told me it was $40. This clown was in the store for a few weeks so I'm wondering if they gave me a bargain lol

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d think any eBay company that sells wild caught Florida keys inverts can send sand collected locally. No clue on the laws but I’m having my grandson collect some for me lol

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d think any eBay company that sells wild caught Florida keys inverts can send sand collected locally. No clue on the laws but I’m having my grandson collect some for me lol
My only concern is how cold it's been! I live moderately close to the Gulf but the mail is hit or miss

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is how cold it's been! I live moderately close to the Gulf but the mail is hit or miss
Why not take a ride and collect some from cleaner water. Don’t know where on the coast you are but father north sees less industrialization and might have preferable habitat plus can collect some astrea and blue legged hermits while there.

I need to go south and start collecting. Crazy that I live in paradise yet still seek that from far away. We tend to ignore close to home.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the LFS that refused to sell someone live rock because the pieces were "too big" for the tank and said you can't add any livestock to a new saltwater tank until it's 8 months old is not ethical. Any decent LFS should be delighted to sell a new keeper live rock, that's a great start.

Or they could have sold the live rock to the OP and let the OP find out on their own when they get the rock to the tank.

No, I don't see anything unethical about refusing to sell someone something that they may not be able to use.

That's just my perspective.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not take a ride and collect some from cleaner water. Don’t know where on the coast you are but father north sees less industrialization and might have preferable habitat plus can collect some astrea and blue legged hermits while there.

I need to go south and start collecting. Crazy that I live in paradise yet still seek that from far away. We tend to ignore close to home.
Believe me --- I'd leap at the chance to take a trip south if I could! I'm in college so it's hard to find time and I need to be financially mindful. I used to live in Coconut Creek; I'm homesick every day.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me --- I'd leap at the chance to take a trip south if I could! I'm in college so it's hard to find time and I need to be financially mindful. I used to live in Coconut Creek; I'm homesick every day.
College was when I set up my first salt tank running an undergravel filter and inadequate lights. I hear you. Not a time to splurge of costly ventures plus one needs beer money

Last edited:
OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or they could have sold the live rock to the OP and let the OP find out on their own when they get the rock to the tank.

No, I don't see anything unethical about refusing to sell someone something that they may not be able to use.

That's just my perspective.
I do understand that sentiment and you're totally right. On the other hand, I knew the dimensions and could tell they would fit, and if not I could have smashed it up. They didn't even ask for my tank dimensions to know it wouldn't fit so I guess they double as mediums!

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
College was when I set up
My first salt tank running an undergravel filter and inadequate lights. I hear you. Not a time to splurge of costly ventures plus one needs beer money
The silver lining is it encourages me to have a better understanding of water quality, and less gadgets to worry about during inevitable west-central Georgia power outages. Personally I prefer that my tanks be more hands-on, within reason. I enjoy the work and it's really rewarding :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back