Introducing biodiversity without live rock, sand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha sorry to make such a long thread. It's 10 gallons
you could easily keep a clown pair and I know I'm going to get disagreement - but an anemone as well (not a large one). This was my first saltwater tank - I had an under gravel filter - 2 clowns and an anemone that was I think 1986

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It all comes down to your filtration.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you could easily keep a clown pair and I know I'm going to get disagreement - but an anemone as well (not a large one). This was my first saltwater tank - I had an under gravel filter - 2 clowns and an anemone that was I think 1986
back then there was no such thing as waiting 8 months. It was cycle the tank and add the stuff - very often it worked fine

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really love a clown, but I've been going through some other threads on here and other forums and I'm apprehensive with how many people say 10gal is too small for even just one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I re-read your post title - there is no evidence at all that adding biodiversity adds anything - it's all about water quality. I know - I'm putting on my armor to defend the ARROWS about to come - but - in reality biodiversity is such a vague term - with no definition that it's worthless IMHO.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would really love a clown, but I've been going through some other threads on here and other forums and I'm apprehensive with how many people say 10gal is too small for even just one.
IMHO - this is not correct. My clown (pair) swam within 6 inches of 'their space' in a 200 gallon tank. In reality - if one followed the recommendations of the experts who claim various things about tangs, etc - one would never keep a tang in a tank. Same as let's say giraffes in a zoo.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still would honestly rather just do inverts only at that point. I don't love how they look and I have enough bottom-dwelling fish in other tanks.
Understood.
I have RFAs and sexy shrimp in my 10 gallon. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a suggestion. Get a LFS - you have time - get one that gives you advice - vet the advice here. Know here that it can be totally different

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - invertebrates do not 'eat' much - and do not produce much waste.. You have time. A picture of your tank would be very helpful.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a suggestion. Get a LFS - you have time - get one that gives you advice - vet the advice here. Know here that it can be totally different
I've been getting the majority of my information from here anyways, but there are so many different opinions it's hard to determine what's true and what isn't. I don't want to get a clown or something and portray myself as an irresponsible aquarist.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting the majority of my information from here anyways, but there are so many different opinions it's hard to determine what's true and what isn't. I don't want to get a clown or something and portray myself as an irresponsible aquarist.
A single clown should be fine.

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the microbiome will change with time, but I'm concerned about adding anything living to a new and sterile tank. My LFS said it's not safe to stock inverts or fish until the tank is 8mo-1yr old at the very minimum and no corals for ~2 years. But I honestly don't understand how waiting that long will benefit me if there's no biodiversity in there to establish itself; the tank is going to be sterile regardless if it's a completely isolated system...

I've read mixed opinions on the snails. I understand some hermits will eat fish food but I've also heard they aren't reef-safe and are hard to eradicate once established. Is there any truth to that?
I had fish in like week 2 and corals week 4 and everything survived and thriving. I was def jumping the gun and you can take it slower. But no body in this hobby is trying to wait 8 month for their first fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct that's what I meant

ClayPigeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know next to nothing, but do a little research on pipefish, looks like they might do well in a small low flow system

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know next to nothing, but do a little research on pipefish, looks like they might do well in a small low flow system
Pipefish are extremely finicky --- as I understand they feed similarly to seahorses so water quality would be a complete nightmare

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most are a bit too large for a 10gal, and bluestripe pipefish, which seem like they'd be small enough, are surprisingly active. Also, almost all pipefish are essentially seahorses in feeding habits, though bluestripes are less fussy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back