Introducing myself

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R... we all make mistakes!!! Here's a good place to ask before doing something... helps a lot.

Definitely look through the articles section on quarantining fish. You can setup a small 10g quarantine tank pretty inexpensively... which will save you hundreds in lost fish later!

Good luck, and ask away!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Sorry to hear about your very early experience with Ich. I've managed to avoid that for nearly 10 years (**goes to find wood to knock on**) by buying fish from other local club members that have been in tanks that have been taken care of.

Stress can also bring that out, and the first few months of a reef tank up and running, there are a lot of things happening that make it an unstable environment

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Miss Doris, All the differing info can be overwhelming for those who are just starting out ! Wade thru it all & choose what makes sense to you !
Thank you and yes I have to keep reminding myself to take small steps only bad things happen overnight.

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R... we all make mistakes!!! Here's a good place to ask before doing something... helps a lot.

Definitely look through the articles section on quarantining fish. You can setup a small 10g quarantine tank pretty inexpensively... which will save you hundreds in lost fish later!

Good luck, and ask away!
Hi thanks, this place is amazing!! I’m sure I’ve been driving My guy from VIP crazy so this is great!
We just got our hands on a 10 gal tank and we’re in the process of setting it up for quarantine just not sure where to start.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Beginner mistakes cannot be avoided. But participating here certainly will help you to minimize those mistakes.

I've only encountered ich one time, an it was while the little guy was in quarantine... thank goodness. Hypo salinity and 5 minute fresh water dips worked for me.

I'm sorry you lost so many fish. Are you sure it was ich? I've never heard of an ich outbreak taking so many fish.

I would also suggest that you slow down. The outbreak took 7 fish... and you still have others. That is a lot of fish in a 4 month old tank.

Every time you add an fish to your tank, you have to allow a few months to go by so that the colony of nitrifying bacteria in the tank has an opportunity to grow and support the additional bio load of the new fish.

How patient is patient?

I added my first fish to a 33 gallon build in May. When I added him, he had been in quarantine since October of 2017. This means he was in quarantine for 6 months before he even made it to my display. I've ramped up my QT tank again in anticipation of adding another fish. And when I get it, it will be in QT for at LEAST 3 months... longer if I have to treat for anything.

Again, welcome to R2R!

Dom

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Sorry to hear about your very early experience with Ich. I've managed to avoid that for nearly 10 years (**goes to find wood to knock on**) by buying fish from other local club members that have been in tanks that have been taken care of.

Stress can also bring that out, and the first few months of a reef tank up and running, there are a lot of things happening that make it an unstable environment

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!
Wow!! thanks for the information that is all great to know and very well explained.
Of course the first things we did was stock up, I really thought we were doing so good until they just started dying.
Now We have the algae growing and we aren’t sure where to go with that yet I thought the snails would take care of that but they are snails and not moving as fast as I want them to.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Did you treat the remaining fish so as not to infect all future additions?

Let’s see some tank pics! :)

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!! We just started buying and adding never thinking there would be a process to adding fish except acclamation.
Hopefully the damage isn’t too bad and we know now, we just have a 10 gal tank and I’m reading up on a quarantine setup.

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Did you treat the remaining fish so as not to infect all future additions?

Let’s see some tank pics! :)

Hi there! Thanks so happy to be here everyone is so welcoming.
No I thought this will just dye out, my husband saw somewhere the ich has a life cycle.

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! thanks for the information that is all great to know and very well explained.
Of course the first things we did was stock up, I really thought we were doing so good until they just started dying.
Now We have the algae growing and we aren’t sure where to go with that yet I thought the snails would take care of that but they are snails and not moving as fast as I want them to.

image.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Thanks so happy to be here everyone is so welcoming.
No I thought this will just dye out, my husband saw somewhere the ich has a life cycle.
It does have a life cycle, but it continues nearly perpetually so long as it has a host (any fish) even if it doesn’t show symptoms.

This is why people remove fish, trea in quarantine, and then run the display tank fallow for 76 days. The other thing is that unfortunately velvet is every bit as common, if not more common today, and is often mistaken for ich. It’s much more deadly and some types of fish can fight it off but new inhabitants will quickly succumb.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

Here is some relevant reading for you. But, point
blank your inhabitants and future inhabitants will be a big decision maker. If you plan to keep angels, tangs, butterflies, or anything of the like ich-management is much more difficult.

Velvet management is a thing but is exponentially more difficult and dangerous. Some wrasse and gobies for instance can show zero symptoms of velvet while other fish in the tank die out quickly. I managed velvet in my wrasse tank for awhile but eventually I learned that over the course of 6-8 months I slowly lost some wrasse, I feel pretty bad about it.

No I QT and treat everything so these issues are in my past. The distribution system for fish coming to us now is all about moving fish before they die, not ensuring the health of the fish, unfortunately — which is part of why we are so busy on the fish disease forum now.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back