OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R :) it's a pleasure to have you here with us ;)
Hey there! Thanks
It does have a life cycle, but it continues nearly perpetually so long as it has a host (any fish) even if it doesn’t show symptoms.

This is why people remove fish, trea in quarantine, and then run the display tank fallow for 76 days. The other thing is that unfortunately velvet is every bit as common, if not more common today, and is often mistaken for ich. It’s much more deadly and some types of fish can fight it off but new inhabitants will quickly succumb.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

Here is some relevant reading for you. But, point
blank your inhabitants and future inhabitants will be a big decision maker. If you plan to keep angels, tangs, butterflies, or anything of the like ich-management is much more difficult.

Velvet management is a thing but is exponentially more difficult and dangerous. Some wrasse and gobies for instance can show zero symptoms of velvet while other fish in the tank die out quickly. I managed velvet in my wrasse tank for awhile but eventually I learned that over the course of 6-8 months I slowly lost some wrasse, I feel pretty bad about it.

No I QT and treat everything so these issues are in my past. The distribution system for fish coming to us now is all about moving fish before they die, not ensuring the health of the fish, unfortunately — which is part of why we are so busy on the fish disease forum now.
Hi Reefer Deez, thank you this is great to know I definitely have to get a QT setup.
It makes sense and I see there are no shortcuts in this hobby, I was hearing about the importance of QT but I understand it better now.

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Thanks

Hi Reefer Deez, thank you this is great to know I definitely have to get a QT setup.
It makes sense and I see there are no shortcuts in this hobby, I was hearing about the importance of QT but I understand it better now.

Yes a QT is extremely important to have. People have gotten away without one but you are gambling every time you put something in your tank without it. Also patience is one of the first rules in this hobby :) we have all made the mistake of going to fast cause by nature we want it done and beautiful, but you must have patience ;)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! thanks for the information that is all great to know and very well explained.
Of course the first things we did was stock up, I really thought we were doing so good until they just started dying.
Now We have the algae growing and we aren’t sure where to go with that yet I thought the snails would take care of that but they are snails and not moving as fast as I want them to.
Take it slow, like the snail! Don't pull your hair out chasing issue - you could create other issues

Here's the full article I pulled that pic from, go to #15: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

Hopefully the damage isn’t too bad and we know now, we just have a 10 gal tank and I’m reading up on a quarantine setup.
ich has a life cycle.
Here are a few links to get you to the right place (if you aren't already there):
Fish Treatment & Diagnosis forum: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/
Treatment Options Index: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-index.247573/
Tank Transfer Method: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/
More in-depth writeup of TTM: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/spars-tank-transfer-method.209690/

The last 2 are for Ich only, so you would have to be sure that is what you have. Ich is one of those things where you can get into many discussions and get many MANY opinions about what works and what does not, so just be prepared for that! I personally am on the side of how disease always exists, it just comes out when the conditions are right (i.e. poor for the fish due to water quality, stress, poor quality food, etc) and that you can technically never really totally get rid of it because it has the capability to encapsulate itself and survive medication treatment, but I don't know if that has been fully proven one way or another

Also there are varying severities (strains) of Ich. So you could get a nasty one that persists, or you could get one that is relatively weak. If someone you are seeking advice from had one of the latter cases, they might have been successful with an in-tank treatment that is reef safe, so you'll get "I tried XYZ and it worked great for me" and others will say "that won't work it's snake oil!!!" and they're both right on some level. Now expand that to 100,000 people and that's where everyone has an opinion!! For instance, I had a customer with a Blue Tang (notorious for developing Ich after catching/transporting/acclimating to a new tank) and it {surprise} got ich. The owner went with an in-tank reef-safe Ich treatement that {gulp} worked. Fish is still alive years later and no other fish in the tank developed Ich.

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the links and the advice.
Definitely slowing down until we have a better understanding on our ick issue.

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a QT is extremely important to have. People have gotten away without one but you are gambling every time you put something in your tank without it. Also patience is one of the first rules in this hobby :) we have all made the mistake of going to fast cause by nature we want it done and beautiful, but you must have patience ;)
Oh yeah I am beginning to realize that we have to slow down and learn to have some patience.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I am beginning to realize that we have to slow down and learn to have some patience.

Patience. Webster's Dictionary defines it to mean: "done in a careful way over a long period of time without hurrying". Patience; almost as important as the very water in which your inhabitants will live.

We live in a society where instant gratification is facilitated by credit cards and payment plans. There are many things we can own impulsively, but a captivating reef tank cannot be counted among them.

A reef tank is not a traditional fixture which you set up in your home. Unlike a TV, you don't pull it from a box, plug it in and enjoy. It must be constructed and nurtured so that it will grow into the magnificent display you see it as in your mind's eye. Much in the way that a summer garden is cultivated to grow into a state of rich colors and aromatic blends, a reef tank is the cultivation of a marine environment.

Owning a reef tank is commonly referred to as "reef keeping". Webster defines the word "keeping" to mean: "the action of owning, maintaining, or protecting something". What are we maintaining? Water quality, lighting and nutrition. What are we protecting? Our investment!

Reef keeping is not an inexpensive hobby. Depending on the size of your setup, it is not unreasonable to expect to spend between one and a few thousand dollars in the first year of your project. The good news is that as a hobby which requires patience, it is a project which can be completed in stages. Because of this, the cash layout can be in several smaller amounts instead of the complete cost, all at once.

If it sounds like I am trying to discourage you; I'm not. I'm simply trying to make clear, the financial and work commitment necessary. Remember: your goal isn't to have a tank that survives, but a tank that thrives!

Dom

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks, this place is amazing!! I’m sure I’ve been driving My guy from VIP crazy so this is great!
We just got our hands on a 10 gal tank and we’re in the process of setting it up for quarantine just not sure where to start.
Check out my build thread...I have a section on my 10g QT setup. There's also an article on quarantining fish by @Humblefish that's a great resource.

OP
OP
Yikesdoris

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. Webster's Dictionary defines it to mean: "done in a careful way over a long period of time without hurrying". Patience; almost as important as the very water in which your inhabitants will live.

We live in a society where instant gratification is facilitated by credit cards and payment plans. There are many things we can own impulsively, but a captivating reef tank cannot be counted among them.

A reef tank is not a traditional fixture which you set up in your home. Unlike a TV, you don't pull it from a box, plug it in and enjoy. It must be constructed and nurtured so that it will grow into the magnificent display you see it as in your mind's eye. Much in the way that a summer garden is cultivated to grow into a state of rich colors and aromatic blends, a reef tank is the cultivation of a marine environment.

Owning a reef tank is commonly referred to as "reef keeping". Webster defines the word "keeping" to mean: "the action of owning, maintaining, or protecting something". What are we maintaining? Water quality, lighting and nutrition. What are we protecting? Our investment!

Reef keeping is not an inexpensive hobby. Depending on the size of your setup, it is not unreasonable to expect to spend between one and a few thousand dollars in the first year of your project. The good news is that as a hobby which requires patience, it is a project which can be completed in stages. Because of this, the cash layout can be in several smaller amounts instead of the complete cost, all at once.

If it sounds like I am trying to discourage you; I'm not. I'm simply trying to make clear, the financial and work commitment necessary. Remember: your goal isn't to have a tank that survives, but a tank that thrives!

Dom
So well put, thank you Dom.
You have given me a better understanding on my role.
It is clear that I have to slow things down and take small steps.
And this didn't discourages me, it opened my eyes and I now have a clear idea of what it means to be a reef keeper.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back