Introducing shoal of 11 Lyertail Anthias into my DT

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and Happy New Year to all:

I just joined the forum, but have been reading your posts for a while now. I will be purchasing a shoal of 11 Lyertail Anthias in the next couple of weeks and was wondering where to post my question for some input. The background and my question is as follows:

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum. While I have been reading many posts here and learning from the vast amount of knowledge and experience of the participants here, this is my first post/question.

DT INFO:
I have a 2.5 year old 350G FOWLR DT with a 75G sump filled to 60% capacity with an 18G run-through (attached) QT. Salinity is 1.021, PH of 8.2-8.4, temperature of 78-79 F.
CURRENT TANK OCCUPANTS:
NINE blue-green Chromis,
ONE 7-in. Bird wrasse,
ONE. 7-in. Red fermosa wrasse,
ONE 6-in. Naso Tang,
ONE 5-in. Majestic Angel, and
ONE 5-in. Candy stripped squirrel fish.
I really like the grouping of blue Chromis and thought a group of small orange/red fish would really add a popping color to the DT, so I recently ordered 11 female Lyertail Anthias from my LFS, which arrived yesterday (thinking that one of them will turn to male over time). The LFS owner is a good friend and is kindly holding all of them for me for a couple of weeks after I return to town from the holidays.
QUESTION: I am a firm believer in putting the fish I buy in QT for 4-6 weeks before going into the DT, but given the relative small size of my QT (18G), and assuming that none of the fish don’t show any signs of disease and are eating well at the LFS after 2 weeks, would it be advisable to put them all (11) in such a small QT? My options are as follows:

A) put them all in the 18G QT (which will be isolated from the DT, which currently gets incoming water from the sump, with outgoing water to a UV sterilizer, which then goes back to the sump. I will have to do 30-50% water changes daily to keep the bio load down, and attach a hanging sponge filter with auxiliary air pump for aerating the QT.

B) get another 20-Gal container, splitting the group of 11 and repeating the above. This would be a lot of work, so not my fav option.

C) assuming all 11 Lyertails are doing well and eating well after 2 weeks at LFS, just acclimate and put directly into DT (scary thought for me, but nevertheless an option)
D) any other options you guys can think of.

As of now, my plan is to go with option A unless you guys think there is a better approach. Thank you so much for your suggestions and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you. Attached are pictures of the Lyertails currently at the LFS.

BEC98239-A243-439F-96A7-C14D9507D78D.jpeg 8CAB7B1B-3941-46E6-8FED-485992567629.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 in an 18 gallon is pushing it for sure and I don’t think I would put them in a tank of that size, especially since they need to be fed multiple times a day. I would watch for and expect an ammonia spike

so your 18 gallon is tied to display? I’m not following that part

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 in an 18 gallon is pushing it for sure and I don’t think I would put them in a tank of that size, especially since they need to be fed multiple times a day. I would watch for and expect an ammonia spike

I agree.... my 18G QT is too small for the 11 Lyertails. I have only used it in the last for one fish at a time, so not sure what to do at this time other than setting up another larger QT.

Yes, in its current configuration, the return water from the sump to DT splits and partially goes in this smaller 18G tank which then outflows to the UV sterilizer and back into the sump. I do have a shutoff valve that can be used to stop the flow into the small 18G tank in case I want to use it as a QT. Makes sense?

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.... my 18G QT is too small for the 11 Lyertails. I have only used it in the last for one fish at a time, so not sure what to do at this time other than setting up another larger QT.

Yes, in its current configuration, the return water from the sump to DT splits and partially goes in this smaller 18G tank which then outflows to the UV sterilizer and back into the sump. I do have a shutoff valve that can be used to stop the flow into the small 18G tank in case I want to use it as a QT. Makes sense?
The one downside to my plumbing is that when I isolate the flow into the 18G to use it as QT, the flow into my UVS also stops.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow this should be an awesome tank. you should create a build thread and let everyone see the progress of your tank. welcome to the forum
Thank you josh. I may do per your suggestion. I gotta learn the various navigation tools around this forum. Love it. Happy New Year.

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Assuming that all 11 appear to be healthy and eating well at LFS before I bring them home ..... what if I just acclimate them and put them all in the 18G auxiliary tank (AT) without isolating the AT from the rest of the 400G of water in the combined DT+Sump ? That way the ammonia buildup would not be an issue. My only concern with that approach is what if the fish do develop some sort of disease over the following 4-6 weeks? Would their disease be contagious and potentially infecting the DT? The outflow from the 18G auxiliary tank does go through a UV Sterilizer befor going back to the sump though, but I’m not sure about the effectiveness of the UVS to kill ALL harmful stuff before the water goes back to the sump and returns to DT. Agghh... wouldn’t it be nice if we could all have short term access to a crystal ball !? Lol.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back