Introducing shoal of 11 Lyertail Anthias into my DT

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great advice already so Welcome to R2R!!!

Ive got 14 Lyretail’s including 2 males and they look stunning in the tank so enjoy them

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun..
def sep qt tank from system,as said another tank /tub,not worth risk :)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that all 11 appear to be healthy and eating well at LFS before I bring them home ..... what if I just acclimate them and put them all in the 18G auxiliary tank (AT) without isolating the AT from the rest of the 400G of water in the combined DT+Sump ? That way the ammonia buildup would not be an issue. My only concern with that approach is what if the fish do develop some sort of disease over the following 4-6 weeks? Would their disease be contagious and potentially infecting the DT? The outflow from the 18G auxiliary tank does go through a UV Sterilizer befor going back to the sump though, but I’m not sure about the effectiveness of the UVS to kill ALL harmful stuff before the water goes back to the sump and returns to DT. Agghh... wouldn’t it be nice if we could all have short term access to a crystal ball !? Lol.

I personally wouldn't chance it and would do a Rubbermaid setup like another member mentioned. Throw some established media or live rock in there, XLM start, or other bacteria, and watch for ammonia. Anthias are great fish, a bit of a unicorn for me long term.

Quarantining anthias is always tough and I would only put them in for observation and only treat if absolutely needed.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending upon where you get the fish (trusted source or provider that does some level of quarantine) you might consider treating with Safety Stop before adding to your DT. At least it will eliminate external parasites. I do this with product from Divers Den (don't purchase from LA California). Check out this video:

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I see that you already have a bird wrasse and a squirrel. They may find that the anthias may be treats. I had a bird nose that would take good size mollies and smash them on the rock into smaller pieces. Surprised that they aren't eyeing up your chromis.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Expect a little squabbling but cant beat a pack of anthias

welcome57.jpg

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be completely pointless to qt them in the 18 gal tank attached to the display. If the is how you have previously qt your fish then you haven’t really prevented any disease spread.
If those are the 2 options I would just put them directly if the display. My only other suggestions would be a completely separate isolated qt

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Why not just get a large Rubbermaid storage tote to use as a QT this time and minimize equipment with frequent water changes using water from DT
Thanks ... that’s certainly an option. Simple too. Unless I can find a clear see-through storage tote, checking for developing disease won’t be easy, but it should be doable. I can do the same with the 18G small auxiliary tank too and just do daily 50% water change using the water for the DT, can’t I ?

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be completely pointless to qt them in the 18 gal tank attached to the display. If the is how you have previously qt your fish then you haven’t really prevented any disease spread.
If those are the 2 options I would just put them directly if the display. My only other suggestions would be a completely separate isolated qt
If I use the 18G tank, I would close the valve that connects it to the DT and just do daily 50% water changes using water from the DT. What do you think about that approach?

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use the 18G tank, I would close the valve that connects it to the DT and just do daily 50% water changes using water from the DT. What do you think about that approach?

leaves way too much room for error. With splashing, close proximity, it’s likely to be ineffective. Then what happens with the meds in the qt when you open the valve?

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to the reef! Glad to have you.
Second, your 18 gallon tank is really not a QT if it is connected to the DT (UV or not). Diseases will still slip past any type of filtration.
Third, since your DT is a FOWLR tank, I would send the anthias directly there after a fresh water dip. You have no inverts to worry about if disease shows up. You'll be able to treat the tank for various diseases without wiping out corals and such.
Fourth, are sure about compatibility? Like mentioned above, the wrasse and squirrel could be a problem.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back