Introduction to R2R

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely get where this is coming from as it is somewhat important to keep species from taking over the species of coral that are naturally already there. I guess as time goes on and we learn more about what can be done naturally to replace and or repair these reefs as they disappear decisions can be made and or changed. I am coming at it from the mindset that it is better to have a coral reef of some sorts for creature inhabitation and such than to have a dying one. I grew up in FL so I get the issues you are explaining with lionfish, iguanas, and even the python issue that is now plaguing FL. It is the same issue we are having here in VA/MD with the snakehead fish.
We also have a snakehead issue in south Florida in Dade and Broward county.

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit late but welcome to reef 2 reef, I think this is great and you guys have my full support and I am going to go donate on your website soon because I think this is such a great thing. I've wanted to find a way to give back to the reefs and this seemsike the perfect opportunity, thank you.

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm fascinated about the work you guys are doing. I'd like to know how you think we can have the biggest impact on saving our world's reefs. When you talk to people who don't believe in man-made climate change, they think you're a crazy person for saying that the world's reefs / ecosystem are on the verge of collapse. Have you had success in converting any of these types of people? What seems to work for you?

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I think what you're doing is fantastic! I wish I was local so that I could donate some of my time and get my kids involved.

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't understand the importance of coral reefs to the underwater eco system. There are so many people that would be in dire straights if all the fish/wildlife move on because of reef damage and death.

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bonus 4 check! A caroliniana I had about 15 years ago.
caroliniana.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The Flordia Coral Reef Rescue project is something I follow closely! Love what you all are doing! Thank you for all the work and education you all are putting into this!

Rex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R community,

We would love to introduce ourselves to this wonderful community.

We are the Reef Institute and our mission is coral conservation through education, research and restoration. We are a small organization on a large mission to save the ocean.

A Little About Our Mission:

Scientists estimate that 50 -80% of all of the oxygen we breath comes from photosynthetic algae in the ocean. Much of this is produced specifically by the zooxanthellae algae living in the tissues of coral. No matter where you live in the world coral, affects your livelihood. For those of us on the Atlantic coast of the United States, our coastlines are directly effected by our coral reefs. The Florida Reef Tract is 365 miles long, running from Dry Tortugas National Park off the coast of the Key West, north to Martin County. As the only barrier reef along the coast of the continental US it creates not only a habitat for literally millions of animals, but a wall of protection from waves and storm surge. It is estimated that this track breaks into patch reefs, and then deep sea reefs up to the northern US. Unfortunately, our coral is suffering greatly. As one scientist once said, “We don’t even know the full extent that coral protects us and the rest of the ocean.”

This is why the Reef Institute sees the importance of protecting our coast, along with educating the next generation on how to best care for the fragile reefs is vital.

133361560_1803376016492449_4286047202688724662_n.jpg
118407194_1686086738221378_5340083943682777303_o.jpg

Our Research:

On the research side, we are a part of the Florida Coral Rescue Project. Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease, was first discovered in 2014 and along with other environmental factors, has caused Florida coral reefs to decline to only a 3- 5% survival rate. We are the first holding facility to be given corals that have intentionally survived this disease zone. Our organization is also the only non zoo, museum or university to be part of this prestigious project. Additionally we are the only holding facility for Favia fragum, and are holding one of the largest single colonies currently rescued. Our other research projects include work with artificial reefs, and a large coral monitoring project in Palm Beach County, Florida

rescued coral1.jpg
rescued coral2.jpg
rescued coral3.jpg
rescued coral4.jpg
rescued coral5.jpg
126487150_1769787903184594_465237275312891248_o.jpg

Our Focus on Education:

For us, our research and education walk hand in hand. Educating the next generation on how to best care for the fragile reefs is vital. We offer many opportunities from outdoor classrooms to distance learning online. Working with the classroom teachers, we reinforce science concepts as students discuss marine science, and see live animals while we facilitate lessons.

69616207_1354739938022728_8993670902327541760_o.jpg
133295084_1802596419903742_1150237769114139721_o.jpg

We would love for you to check out our website! We are excited to get to know hobbyists! Our board members, Executive Director, marine scientists and marine veterinarian will be on Reef2Reef to interact, learn, and help in any way we can. Some of our staff and board members are active hobbyist and are members to R2R community also. We are grateful for this community and can’t wait to get to know you! We are looking to offer some free virtual education to help you see our coral, and get to know us for both adults and kids very soon!
Fantastic organization. Can we visit Palm Beach County facility?

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! Thank you for the work you do!!!

JuanGutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R glad you guys are here to share your knowledge and help as many of us as possible here get involved.

MoorishIdol814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thank you for everything that your team is doing to help the reefing community and preserve all of the important coral!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back