0   0   0
Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Thanks for allowing me to join the group. My name is Mel Whitten, I have been in the saltwater/reef hobby for 20+ years now ( freshwater before that). I joined because I know there is always more to learn about this hobby ( when I started saltwater, the preferred filtration method was the wet / dry filters). Protein skimmers were something you had heard of back then, but nobody I knew in he hobby actually had one at that time. This site is a wealth of information, and I hope to improve my skills keeping my reef tanks ( currently a 150 and a 55 gallon) with the help of the people on this site. Thanks again, and happy New Year.

Hi Mel and Welcome! Glad you joined. Yes hobby has come a long way but interestingly those wet/dry filters from 80s/90s seem to be making a comeback over on the freshwater side - shocking to me. Things you knew from back then help us be successful these days, there is just so much more knowledge that has come along with the advancements.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back