SLVRADO

Dakota Reef Keepers Founder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! I figured I’d kick off this thread with a little introduction of myself and my background in the hobby.

I’ve been in the saltwater hobby a grand total of 3 years, 2 of which was spent caring for someone else’s fish only aquarium which included a yellow tang and a Volitan Lion Fish.

Im currently running a Waterbox 20 cube that’s been setup for the last year with a Waterbox Reef 220.6 build that I will make a separate thread on.

I’m excited to grow this group and finally put together some frag swaps and meetups in the near future, let me know if you are interested!
D49C3526-0B8B-431D-8828-BAC903F2F007.jpeg

Dmmuir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I'm Dave. been in the hobby about a year and a half. I am in Fargo itself. I know a few people in the area.

I have a 110 mixed reef that will be moving into a 180 in the semi near future. I also have a 90 cube fowlr tank that is needing some additional occupants soon.

I'll try to get a pic of the tanks at some point....

Fragtastic1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Jake. Been in the hobby a bit over 2 years.

I have a IM 30L aio that I started with and a 20L that is my wife's. We plan on upgrading to a 72L×30w×26H custom tank as soon as we get the cash saved up.

We live about a hour south of Fargo on I94.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name's Evan, I'm from Minot (and yeah, that sucks as far as this hobby goes). I've been in the hobby about 3 years now. I've met a few reefers out here but people keeping any SPS have been rare to non-existent.

I'm currently running a 60 gallon mixed reef, starting up a 16 gallon bowfront mixed reef in my wife's Biology classroom, and just started a 40 gallon AIO SPS dominant tank in my office at work. The 60 gallon will be going away as soon as I have my other tanks up and running; a 50 gallon frag tank, 95 gallon wave front, and a 7-foot long 200 gallon.

We visit Fargo often for AKC dog agility trials and I make a point of going to Midwest Aquarium Services every time I'm in town.

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name's Evan, I'm from Minot (and yeah, that sucks as far as this hobby goes). I've been in the hobby about 3 years now. I've met a few reefers out here but people keeping any SPS have been rare to non-existent.

I'm currently running a 60 gallon mixed reef, starting up a 16 gallon bowfront mixed reef in my wife's Biology classroom, and just started a 40 gallon AIO SPS dominant tank in my office at work. The 60 gallon will be going away as soon as I have my other tanks up and running; a 50 gallon frag tank, 95 gallon wave front, and a 7-foot long 200 gallon.

We visit Fargo often for AKC dog agility trials and I make a point of going to Midwest Aquarium Services every time I'm in town.
Welcome Evan! Don’t you have a new local fish store up in Minot?

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Jake. Been in the hobby a bit over 2 years.

I have a IM 30L aio that I started with and a 20L that is my wife's. We plan on upgrading to a 72L×30w×26H custom tank as soon as we get the cash saved up.

We live about a hour south of Fargo on I94.
Awesome! Is your wife in the hobby as well?

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I'm Dave. been in the hobby about a year and a half. I am in Fargo itself. I know a few people in the area.

I have a 110 mixed reef that will be moving into a 180 in the semi near future. I also have a 90 cube fowlr tank that is needing some additional occupants soon.

I'll try to get a pic of the tanks at some point....
Definitely gets some pictures up! Good to see there are more hobbyist in the area!

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Evan! Don’t you have a new local fish store up in Minot?
If you're talking about Ocean Vibe no, they're not really a store, yet. So far they're running out of a house and primarily doing buy online orders.

R&J's World of Pets has a decent amount of tanks set up but they mostly handle fish and some CUC.

Then there is Petco. Not all Petcos are bad ... this one seems to just keep getting worse.

Slaff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about a month into the hobby. I have always wanted to get into the hobby. So here I am. I have a Water Box 60.2. I have yet to put water in it as I'm still building my mixing station. I am located in West Fargo and look forward to learning and hopefully meeting some local reefers.

Ps: SLVRADO is my neighbor and is responsible for getting me going in the hobby finally!!!!

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about Ocean Vibe no, they're not really a store, yet. So far they're running out of a house and primarily doing buy online orders.

R&J's World of Pets has a decent amount of tanks set up but they mostly handle fish and some CUC.

Then there is Petco. Not all Petcos are bad ... this one seems to just keep getting worse.
Yeah not all Petco’s are created equal. I found this on YouTube that is actually better than most LFS! I’m surprised you actually have a couple options, just not a great coral shop from the sounds of it.

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about a month into the hobby. I have always wanted to get into the hobby. So here I am. I have a Water Box 60.2. I have yet to put water in it as I'm still building my mixing station. I am located in West Fargo and look forward to learning and hopefully meeting some local reefers.

Ps: SLVRADO is my neighbor and is responsible for getting me going in the hobby finally!!!!
Sean! Welcome to the forums brother! Make sure you upload pictures to the build thread so everyone can see your progress!

Honeyberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Honey, I've been in the hobby for a total of 9 years with 2 breaks currently coming of of my last break of 3 years. Starting small with a Fiji 20pen. Currently have way to much toys for a single 20 gallon set up...Once the house is built then the fun really begins.
Meanwhile here in Aberdeen. Thinking new tank is either a darwin and anemone or darwin and mixed. Just not sure. Got my rock scape done. Had to wait for a replacement tank.
20211012_175207.jpg

Dmmuir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no LFS in Aberdeen is there? I travel there often for work, and usually try to hit local stores if I can.

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Honey, I've been in the hobby for a total of 9 years with 2 breaks currently coming of of my last break of 3 years. Starting small with a Fiji 20pen. Currently have way to much toys for a single 20 gallon set up...Once the house is built then the fun really begins.
Meanwhile here in Aberdeen. Thinking new tank is either a darwin and anemone or darwin and mixed. Just not sure. Got my rock scape done. Had to wait for a replacement ta
Meanwhile here in Aberdeen. Thinking new tank is either a darwin and anemone or darwin and mixed. Just not sure. Got my rock scape done. Had to wait for a replacement tank.
20211012_175207.jpg
Welcome to the forum! You building a house in Aberdeen?

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, this is Hans down in Sioux Falls.

If you click on the link under my avatar, I've got a build thread going on my 150 gallon SCA tank. I'm hoping it's going to be cleaned up enough here soon to do some new photos. Stupid cyano.

-Hans

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy here, I live in Harwood just outside Fargo. I've had my tank up running for approaching a year. Friday my wife asked me if I'm going to run out of space to put corals. My response was I need to finish the basement so I can put in my 6 foot tank then.

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, this is Hans down in Sioux Falls.

If you click on the link under my avatar, I've got a build thread going on my 150 gallon SCA tank. I'm hoping it's going to be cleaned up enough here soon to do some new photos. Stupid cyano.

-Hans
SCA makes some nice acrylic tanks! I actually almost purchased one as well but went with Waterbox because I was worried about scratches. I’m actually dealing with a small cyano issue as well..

OP
OP
SLVRADO

SLVRADO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy here, I live in Harwood just outside Fargo. I've had my tank up running for approaching a year. Friday my wife asked me if I'm going to run out of space to put corals. My response was I need to finish the basement so I can put in my 6 foot tank then.
Welcome to the forum Troy! I know Harwood well, my wife’s family is out there. What kind of tank you got?

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe here in Minot, faculty at MSU. Been in the hobby for 30+ years, fish only (FOWLR and African cichlids) back to 1990 or so, and FW since I was like 5; into reefs for over 10. Current tank is linked in my sig - IM 25 lagoon currently undergoing a truly original re-scape.

Seems there are quite a few Minotians on here...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back