Invasive xenia

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little back ground. The tank has been up and running for 7 years, and I accidently overdosed iodine which caused my pom pom xenias to go bananas. They are steadily encroaching all over the tank with little pause. I've taken care of a few with amquel injections, and some with a mojano wand; however, it seems any cell that burns off just blows around the tank and starts a new colony. I bought a pyramid butterfly, but my twin bar rabbit wouldn't leave him alone. As far as I know the Pyramid is the only fish that eats xenia, but I am wondering if anyone knows of another organism that eats xenia or another natural solution.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated mine like pulling off gha, trying my best to not let anything float away. Mine was on smooth coralline so it pulls off fairly easy with tweezer. I still have 2 spots with 2-3 polyps. You gotta wait til they get just big enough to hopefully peel them off. I have a smaller tank so this might not be much of an option in a bigger tank.

I have some Sunny D zoas that grew right over a patch. Again only a solution for a very small patch.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was recommended fenbendazole as an alternative method. Other than adding a ton of nutrients and cyano from the die off, does anyone know if there's any adverse affect effects on microflora?

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your thread, and it looks like you dosed 1mg/gal, and I was wondering how you measured out millis out of a 250mg packet; however, I will probably take a packet or 2 from you, and thank you.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your thread, and it looks like you dosed 1mg/gal, and I was wondering how you measured out millis out of a 250mg packet; however, I will probably take a packet or 2 from you, and thank you.

I had a very precise scale and I measured out the exact amount I needed, however its actually much easier if you add the 250mg to a gallon of water and shake....Then use 1oz of the mix per 2 gallons of tank water to be treated. (its actually 1oz per 1.95gallons if you want to be exact) don't forget to include sump volume and wherever else water may be.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very precise scale and I measured out the exact amount I needed, however its actually much easier if you add the 250mg to a gallon of water and shake....Then use 1oz of the mix per 2 gallons of tank water to be treated. (its actually 1oz per 1.95gallons if you want to be exact) don't forget to include sump volume and wherever else water may be.
HAHAHA. That's an easy eq for sure. It's amazing we look straight past the obvious sometimes. LOL. Send me a pm with price and we'll set it up.

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should definitely remove as much of the Xenia as possible before dosing. Xenia is much larger and meatier than BCP and you don't want it all dying in the tank.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking to stump as many as I could then dose.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing he ate was the food I gave him and the Xenia. He never even looked at another coral and there's palm trees, gsp, zoas, palys.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of fenbendazole having an affect on astrea snails, cerinths, nasarius, or tricolors? I was on the fence for using fenbendazole, but I just put in 80 astrea and 70 tris. I've heard some people remove inverts, but as fenbendazole is persistent as it is absorbed in LR, I haven't heard of any problems when inverts are reintroduced. Any insight would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decide to treat with fenbendazole. I figure it's just going to get worse. A mojano wand worked in small areas, but Xenia just kept going. Here's a pic of pre-dose and will follow up as the progress goes.
before fenbendazole.jpg

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 24 hours the xenia are shrunken and silvery. Definitely not happy and no other coral or snails seem to be suffering any harm.
24hour fenbendazole1.jpg
24hour fenbendazole2.jpg

OP
OP
Garbonzo

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hour mark. I was thinking there would be a little more degradation, but it's definitely taking it's course.

48 hour fenbendazole2.jpg
48hour fenbendazole1.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back