Invert addition to new tank. When and What?

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I currently have two clownfish in quarantine. I have noticed that there is a decent amount of food building up in a flow dead spot in the tank. That isn't a big deal since my quarantine tank is barebottom so its easy to see and siphon out. My display tank is larger and has sand and rock though. My question is, how soon can I, and should I add inverts? I have at least three options:

1. Add the skunk cleaner shrimp I want anyway to do clean up duty. Would a brand new tank though be too unstable? I don't have an ATO yet so I have to add water every day. So the salinity might be swinging a little every day from evap. If it matters, the tank has been cycled with microbacter start and ammonium chloride for what will have been a couple months so I think I will be able to control ammonia well.

2. Add a CUC detrivore like small hermit crab or some type of snail. Which is better for scavenging food (as opposed to algae)? How many to start with on a tank with little food yet?

3. Just wait because a new tank will be too unstable for inverts.

The tank is 40 gallons and will just have the two small clowns to start with. What are your suggestions? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank has been cycled with microbacter start and ammonium chloride for what will have been a couple months

If your tank has a food source then add some inverts. Food source = algae or a few bits of what you are feeding the clowns.
Hermits or nassarius snails are better with left over food
Minor salinity swings should not be an issue.

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lapin, Thanks for the suggestion and for the link. It says 1 -2 snails per gallon but what would you start with in a tank with very low bioload that has never been fed before?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 2 or 3 snails or 2 crabs. With me I have about a 50% death rate with new snails

Back