Invertebrate only quarantine setup.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any rubble in your DT then just grab a few pieces for the invert QT along with a little dry rock and that’ll seed the rest.

I’d avoid “aquascaping” as any large pieces or hiding places make it a pain to keep track of the inverts. Scattered small chunks 1-2” will form a nice substrate for bacteria and algae while maintaining functionality.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any rubble in your DT then just grab a few pieces for the invert QT along with a little dry rock and that’ll seed the rest.

I’d avoid “aquascaping” as any large pieces or hiding places make it a pain to keep track of the inverts. Scattered small chunks 1-2” will form a nice substrate for bacteria and algae while maintaining functionality.
I have to rock that have been in my sump for 3 months and wi was going to put that in the qt. I was going to add some fresh sand and some dry rock.

I am going to have a hong on the back filter and was going to put ceramic balls form
My sump into the filter.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to rock that have been in my sump for 3 months and wi was going to put that in the qt. I was going to add some fresh sand and some dry rock.

I am going to have a hong on the back filter and was going to put ceramic balls form
My sump into the filter.
Sounds spot on.

Only comment, and this comes down to preference, is the sand can sometimes be a PITA as it traps detritus, kicks up dust during a water change/invert removal, and adds maintenance. The tank will still work with sand, but you might find yourself skipping it for future invert QT.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds spot on.

Only comment, and this comes down to preference, is the sand can sometimes be a PITA as it traps detritus, kicks up dust during a water change/invert removal, and adds maintenance. The tank will still work with sand, but you might find yourself skipping it for future invert QT.
Yeah other have said the same thing. I just thought that adding sand will make it more natural and there will be more algae growing in the sand for the inverts to eat.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds spot on.

I am getting a bag of the

caribsea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just order from Reefcleaners and then skip the whole QT. They don't have any fish in their invert systems.
Do they also hold inverts in tanks without adding new ones for 45+ days??

I have had good luck with them, my first big cuc purchase was from them and I chickened out and QTd them, I want to get another order, but I'm woried I need to QT them first again and don't have a tank ready for invert qt just yet.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had good luck with them, my first big cuc purchase was from them and I chickened out and QTd them, I want to get another order, but I'm woried I need to QT them first again and don't have a tank ready for invert qt just yet.
You would have to contact them to confirm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've gotten pests in every order from them... never again.

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will add rock and sand. Is it ok to qt snails and corals together?
Yes, you can QT all inverts at the same time or at different times it doesn't reset the clock. you just have to keep track of what you add and when.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d avoid “aquascaping” as any large pieces or hiding places make it a pain to keep track of the inverts.
Oh how I wish someone would have told me this 6 months ago!!! I have inverts (feather dusters) in my qt that have become one with the rock in the qt. Now I can’t tear down the qt tank without putting the whole ugly rock in the display.

And a pistol shrimp I thought was dead but he’s just been hiding under the rock since Feb. & watchman goby is alone in display tank. I take the rock out, shrimp is nowhere to be found.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I wish someone would have told me this 6 months ago!!! I have inverts (feather dusters) in my qt that have become one with the rock in the qt. Now I can’t tear down the qt tank without putting the whole ugly rock in the display.

And a pistol shrimp I thought was dead but he’s just been hiding under the rock since Feb. & watchman goby is alone in display tank. I take the rock out, shrimp is nowhere to be found.
I put rocks in mine to make it look better and I think it will give it a more natural look and the inverts will like it more

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one big aquascaped arch that I made with lots of hidey holes in my 15 gallon cube. BIG mistake! After the 1st round of qt I broke it in half and took out the half that didn’t have any creatures attached. It’s still too much, they climb inside and disappear. I lost a brittle star and a sexy shrimp, no idea where they went.

With the brittle stars especially, if I can’t see them, I can’t spot feed them. One just climbed in there and starved to death. Never saw him again.

Another brittle star (in a different qt tank - yes I have 2 invert qt tanks lol) arrived almost completely dissolved, only 1 leg left. But I could see where he was, so just kept trying to feed him & he finally ate a piece of shrimp after a week and a half. Once he started eating his health really turned around & started healing up.

And now his legs are all grown back & he’s in my main display. Once a week or so he sticks a tentacle out when he’s hungry. I put a little piece of shrimp or fish in his tentacle and he pulls it back in. Have to watch that he actually gets it because the cleaner shrimp try to steal it from him. Love watching the inverts, they are so entertaining.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one big aquascaped arch that I made with lots of hidey holes in my 15 gallon cube. BIG mistake! After the 1st round of qt I broke it in half and took out the half that didn’t have any creatures attached. It’s still too much, they climb inside and disappear. I lost a brittle star and a sexy shrimp, no idea where they went.

With the brittle stars especially, if I can’t see them, I can’t spot feed them. One just climbed in there and starved to death. Never saw him again.

Another brittle star (in a different qt tank - yes I have 2 invert qt tanks lol) arrived almost completely dissolved, only 1 leg left. But I could see where he was, so just kept trying to feed him & he finally ate a piece of shrimp after a week and a half. Once he started eating his health really turned around & started healing up.

And now his legs are all grown back & he’s in my main display. Once a week or so he sticks a tentacle out when he’s hungry. I put a little piece of shrimp or fish in his tentacle and he pulls it back in. Have to watch that he actually gets it because the cleaner shrimp try to steal it from him. Love watching the inverts, they are so entertaining.
My shrimp are always trying to steel food from my corals.

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does not reset the clock!

Post in thread 'Coral/Invert Quarantine Time Frames' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/post-4163218
If this is true, then reef cleaners inverts should not need a very long QT I would think.

Of course I guess it doesn't account for something they receive into inventory that goes right into someone's order, but I think they must have some hold time in their all fishless systems to make sure they will survive and eat first.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you would need to wait 76 days after the most recent coral/invert addition to be sure there were no free swimmers in the water.
@LouieP You really got my hopes up! Hate waiting that 76 days. (I actually do 45 - maybe not great but better than nothing)

But when humblefish says a new addition doesn’t reset the clock he is talking about tomonts. Later in the thread he says the above about free swimmers.

I guess if you were really really thorough in rinsing you could get any free swimmers. But I don’t know how you thoroughly rinse a feather duster for example. It retracts, taking a bunch of water with it. Same with a hermit crab, their shell is full of water when you pick them up.

maybe if you put them in a bowl of saltwater until they open and then swish them around?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.9%
Back