IPSF snails and hermits

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for a reef tune up, live sand package, micro stars,and strombus snails from IPSF. This is my first time ever using them but they have great reviews I know.

Exactly what am I getting? I don't find much information out there on the items.

His micro hermits. How safe are they? I tend to have bought red leg and blue legs in the past and they usually just kill snails and murder each other, esp the Blue leg. Do they actually stay real small and leave snails alone? Should I banish them to the sump or add yo my DT?

Hawaiian micro turbos, Hawaiian trochus, littorinid grazers, strombus grazers. What exactly am I getting?

What exactly comes in the live sand and wonder mud?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits - no idea. I feed mine well and don't have a lot of issues. Snails - all good additions from what you indicated. Live sand - again, no idea. Didn't you inquire about any of this before ordering?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for a reef tune up, live sand package, micro stars,and strombus snails from IPSF. This is my first time ever using them but they have great reviews I know.

Exactly what am I getting? I don't find much information out there on the items.

His micro hermits. How safe are they? I tend to have bought red leg and blue legs in the past and they usually just kill snails and murder each other, esp the Blue leg. Do they actually stay real small and leave snails alone? Should I banish them to the sump or add yo my DT?

Hawaiian micro turbos, Hawaiian trochus, littorinid grazers, strombus grazers. What exactly am I getting?

What exactly comes in the live sand and wonder mud?
Have you read info at site?

Mama Mia Worms™
The common name of these deposit-feeding annelids from the family Terrebellidae is Spaghetti Worms. But let's face it - how many people can spell "spaghetti" correctly on the first try? We sure couldn't. Hence the name, Mama Mia. These highly active worms have bright red buccal tentacles which extend out over the sand bed to gather suitably sized particulate materials, which they "lasso" by tentacular contraction. It's fascinating to watch, and it sure beats vacuuming your sand bed. Here's a bonus: you can count on Mama Mia worms to reproduce in your tank because they have direct development (no planktonic stage). Specimens average approx. 1/2 "-1" in length with tentacles extended. 100% captive-bred by IPSF.

Mama Mia Worms™ $19.95 (6 specimens). Order today!

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits - no idea. I feed mine well and don't have a lot of issues. Snails - all good additions from what you indicated. Live sand - again, no idea. Didn't you inquire about any of this before ordering?
Yes I inquired, there just isn't a ton of information.just wondering other people's experiences mostly.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails all crawl out over time. They're hydrophobic. The live sand and nitrifying bacteria supplements are amazing for my tank. Cleaned out the cyano problem. I will probably make an order about once a year for the stuff.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails all crawl out over time. They're hydrophobic. The live sand and nitrifying bacteria supplements are amazing for my tank. Cleaned out the cyano problem. I will probably make an order about once a year for the stuff.
Thanks. I figured the nerites would as that seems to be the case in the past for me anyway.

The micro turbos and trochus as well? I have zebra turbos and have had banded trochus in the past and they never seemed to try and get out. Are these Hawaiian trochus the same as the banded?

Did you get any of the micro hermits?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got similar package about 20 years ago.

Littorinid(nerite) grazers would stay near the top of the tank...and crawl out.

The trochus are awesome, mine were breeding and I got babies.

The strombus also bred for me as well, they are small maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch but stayed on the rocks and glass.

I think I had turbos as well, they were a decent snail.

The mirco hermits I believe stayed small for me, I also had left hand hermits, they were bigger and more aggressive from what I remember.

The live sand activator was a crushed coral mix of worms, pods, etc. The wonder mud was a small sample of sediment which contained similar critters including micro brittle stars. They did very well in my tank and used them to seed small sand bed.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because your snails hate you. ;)
If there's food in the tank they're unlikely to look elsewhere (I do have a few adventurous orange spotted nassarius that have been known to roam up to a few meters from my tank).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back