Is ‘Bar Keepers Friend’.... Reef Safe?

1reeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used 200 gal glass tank that has major Coralline residue on front pane of glass. Tried SOAKING WITH VINEGAR & SCRAPING with a RAZOR BLADE with NO RESULTS! This IS NOT your normal soak for 2 hours in vinegar & easily scrape with a razor blade!!! On another forum a reefer said he used ‘Bar Keepers Friend’ & had fantastic results! My question is : Has anyone used BKF & had good results? Or... has anyone else here had my similar situation & had something work for them? PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON USING A RAZOR WITH ELBOW GREASE & VINEGAR!!! IT DIDN’T WORK!!! Lol Thanks ahead of time!
c3a703e1fb3d04701635657b697b429c.jpg
616c6b12661d3ad386c3f52c8a05dfdc.jpg

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it when I bought a used tank and it had hard water stains and all that nasty stuff. I got a Dual Action polisher and some barkeepers friend and went to town with it. Gave it a nice bath after I was done and so far so good.

OP
OP
1reeflover

1reeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rushbattle... This stuff is so hard seems etched into the glass! Like I said soaked for hrs with vinegar & not a speck moved!!!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or think days instead of hours with the vinegar - but muriatic acid will certainly be quicker. Just be safe about it.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rushbattle... This stuff is so hard seems etched into the glass! Like I said soaked for hrs with vinegar & not a speck moved!!!
Your assumption of being etched into the glass is probably closer to tthe truth than you realize. If the vinegar soke and Bar Keepers Friend isn't removing it then its most likely etched. I had a similar issue with a 75 gal I bought a couple of years ago. I tried everything I could, including Cerium Oxide, glass is clean now but its etched. I ended up buying a new tank for display and the other became my bearded dragons new home.
As for the original question about BKF...just make sure you rinse the tank out real good and you should be fine

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back