Is 0.00 nitrate a problem?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with a canister filter, protein skimmer and small refugium. I dose 10 ml of distilled white Apple vinegar (22ml is recommended for my tank size) with B-ionic 2 part daily. I feed 4 ml of frozen food diluted in r/o water once per day.
pH 8.3
Alk 9.8
Cal 390
Sal 1.025
PO3 0.89 (a little high, I know)
NO3 0.00
The tank will be one-year-old next month.
My Hanna nitrate test showed 0.00 for the second week in a row, so i got worried.
I added Brightwell’s nitrate for the first time yesterday.
A recommended does is 7ml to raise it to 1.00, so I started with 3 ml yesterday.
I added another 3 ml this morning.
It’s 10pm, I just ran the test again and it’s still 0.00???
Is that even possible? I don’t know if my Hanna checker is bad? Is my carbon dosing offsetting the NO3? Is my skimmer stripping it out?
Any advice would be appreciated.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken GFO removes nitrates right? Remove it completely and stop carbon dosing and see if nitrate start to rise

Upvote 0

View Badges
No problem if you have them in your tank after you feed and hours later there's none ,thats is ok lots have it that way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ClownSchool

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken GFO removes nitrates right? Remove it completely and stop carbon dosing and see if nitrate start to rise
Yes, it does. I’ll start by skipping carbon dosing for a few days, test again, then pull it out of my canister.
The problem is opening the canister usually requires a partial water change, which can throw my parameters off even more. So, I’ll take small steps toward that option over the next few days while continuing to dose and see what happens.
I had forgotten about that old GFO bag, so thank you for reminding me.

Upvote 0

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line is you are using nitrates much quicker than you are creating them, especially if you are dosing nitrates and then carbon, your skimmer will just work overtime to get rid of those nitrates you’re dosing.

Stop dosing carbon, or at least lower it, run your skimmer drier if possible and try to find out what’s exporting all of your nitrates. GFO, carbon, skimmer all culprits. Make a few changes and test over the coming week or two

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Assure youre not getting false readings and even get a second test taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api test kits

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the original question of whether zero nitrate is undesirable, the only times I'd say it is not undesirable is if you are dosing significant ammonia or amino acids, or maybe nitrate. That way you can be sure there is significant N available.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 46 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back