Is 0.1 phosphate too much?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing numbers is not only unhealthy for the tank, it's pretty hard tank keeper as well. My current PO4 is 0.15 and my nitrates are almost 20. My SPS is growing and colorful, my zoas and LPS are growing as well. Try to achieve some stability, not a specific number.
Green slimer 21-4-22.jpg

OP
OP
M

Miklo_Miklo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank so the levels fluctuate a lot I rather it be lower so it can be safer in case it raises even more

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank so the levels fluctuate a lot I rather it be lower so it can be safer in case it raises even more
Understood. But you just tested at .25? That is a swing but not too heavy with Nano..... you are more apt to changes obviously, but soon as you go down the dose route, be prepared to do it constant, as opposed to monitoring and maintaining with regular water changes. Think about it, the swing....has all been ok though it? .1 is your highest and it freaked you a bit, All good, been there. As I asked before, wondering what you are feeding? Please be specific , thanks.

OP
OP
M

Miklo_Miklo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed half of the recommended amount so hopefully it lowers it slower, I feed a quarter of a cube of frozen food, I recently had to change my ro filters because they were disgusting.

OP
OP
M

Miklo_Miklo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 is my highest I tested the water with natural sunlight after because I got .1 with testing it with white light but since salifert recommends to test with natural sunlight.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t chase numbers. Your system will reach its “equilibrium” or where it naturally settles param wise. As long as your corals are happy and growing, go with that.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding was that as long as you kept the ratio correct, you could have increased phosphates? Nitrates and phosphates are consumed by bacteria in a 16:1 ratio, known as the Redfield Ratio, so if you have zero nitrates then your system is nitrate limited. If there is not enough nitrate then the bacteria can't consume phosphate, causing it to rise. My LFS owner went as far to say you could stretch to 20:1.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back