I have a 50 gallon reef tank with no sump. My current stock list is
Mandarin dragonet
Starry Blenny
2 bangaii cardinalfish
I plan to get a
Snowflake Clown
Flashers wrasse
A coral beauty.
I also wanted to get 3 green chromis. Is that to many fish? I don't want have to do a water change more than twice a month. I can leave out the chromis but I want them if it is not to much of a bio load. I will also plan to have a clean up crew
2 Conch Snails
4 turbo snail
I also want to have 2 cleaner Shrimp.
Is this to much? Would this stock list work out. If I do get chromis I want at least three no less.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon reef tank with no sump. My current stock list is
Mandarin dragonet
Starry Blenny
2 bangaii cardinalfish
I plan to get a
Snowflake Clown
Flashers wrasse
A coral beauty.
I also wanted to get 3 green chromis. Is that to many fish? I don't want have to do a water change more than twice a month. I can leave out the chromis but I want them if it is not to much of a bio load. I will also plan to have a clean up crew
2 Conch Snails
4 turbo snail
I also want to have 2 cleaner Shrimp.
Is this to much? Would this stock list work out. If I do get chromis I want at least three no less.
My only concern is the bio load of the tank versus the filtration. What are you using to filter the tank and circulate the water?

That's not necessarily a huge amount of fish since they are all relatively small, but they can still have a huge impact on the overall well being of your tank depending on how fast you add them, how healthy they are, and of course how much you feed them.

OP
OP
King Adeft

King Adeft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is the bio load of the tank versus the filtration. What are you using to filter the tank and circulate the water?

That's not necessarily a huge amount of fish since they are all relatively small, but they can still have a huge impact on the overall well being of your tank depending on how fast you add them, how healthy they are, and of course how much you feed them.
It is a tube breeder style tank with to "sides" connected with big "Tubes" I have a power head on the top right to get water through the top to the left and a wave maker on the bottom left to get water to the right. I am using a DC tuze skimmer and a tunze filter. They were $300 in a set. The water quality is matching on both sides which is good quality. So what do you think?

OP
OP
King Adeft

King Adeft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170910_145734.png

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a tube breeder style tank with to "sides" connected with big "Tubes" I have a power head on the top right to get water through the top to the left and a wave maker on the bottom left to get water to the right. I am using a DC tuze skimmer and a tunze filter. They were $300 in a set. The water quality is matching on both sides which is good quality. So what do you think?
To be honest, I've never really seen or heard of a tank like that except for the giant ones at public aquariums and such. I'd say stick with small fish and add them slowly. If water quality is matching on both sides, which it probably will based on how you have it set up, then I'd say you're good to go with the fish you have outlined above. I'd just keep an eye on them as you're adding more fish to see which sides they favor or if they easily go from one side to the other frequently.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a sump I would definetly add a lot more rock to the display to allow for more surface colonization of the beneficial bacteria and more places for fish to hang out in the rocks. The fish and water chemistry will let you know if you have too many, if you start detecting ammonia or fish get diseased and or chasing each other causing stress then you will have your answer. If they are all healthy and seeming happy with no aggression between some of them then it will be ok.

Jessi_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else. Introduce the fish slowly and if you see your parameters creep up you'll either have to decrease the fish, or increase your water changes.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beleive that no matter how great the filtration and water qaulity is there is a red line, what it is i have no idea but when a fish dies for no reason in a crowded tank i think thats nature culling them back to the red line.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at 16 fish right now, with some being larger fish so i think im close to that imaginary line, atleast for my 92gal tank.

Danny N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be surprised if you wind up with only 1 green chromis. I had 5 in a 120 gallon and they picked each other off until 1 was left standing.

OP
OP
King Adeft

King Adeft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I've never really seen or heard of a tank like that except for the giant ones at public aquariums and such. I'd say stick with small fish and add them slowly. If water quality is matching on both sides, which it probably will based on how you have it set up, then I'd say you're good to go with the fish you have outlined above. I'd just keep an eye on them as you're adding more fish to see which sides they favor or if they easily go from one side to the other frequently.
My two bangaii cardinalfish prefer the right my mandarin goes between a lot but stays on the left at night and my starry Blenny will stick on one side of the tank for a while than switch and stay there equally as long. All my parameters are good ph is just a tiny bit low 8.0 at the lowest. I do water changes once a month. Would recommend me getting the chromis?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two bangaii cardinalfish prefer the right my mandarin goes between a lot but stays on the left at night and my starry Blenny will stick on one side of the tank for a while than switch and stay there equally as long. All my parameters are good ph is just a tiny bit low 8.0 at the lowest. I do water changes once a month. Would recommend me getting the chromis?
I think you'll be okay with the chromis. Just keep an eye on parameters and be prepared to do water changes as needed.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 50g with 8 fish. I think you're fine as those are small fish. I might suggest not adding the chromis trio though. IME they will kill each other off eventually unless you have a really large tank.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need some more pics of this friggin' tank! Looks cool.

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be surprised if you wind up with only 1 green chromis. I had 5 in a 120 gallon and they picked each other off until 1 was left standing.
I agree with this!! Had 5 and now only 1, trying to catch him just so he could be someone else's issue...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back