Is 7 Alkalinity okay?

The rock you got from the fish store had an unknown amount of nitrifying bacteria... possibly none. If you're not planning to add bottled bacteria and a nitrogen source, it's going to take longer than a week to cycle. Probably looking at a month.
 
The rock you got from the fish store had an unknown amount of nitrifying bacteria... possibly none. If you're not planning to add bottled bacteria and a nitrogen source, it's going to take longer than a week to cycle. Probably looking at a month.
I guess I'm confused on how the nitrogen cycle works because I thought live rock would've provided all of the nitrifying bacteria necessary and it would've multiplied based on how much ammonia is produced by other organisms. Would getting some fritz turbo start properly start the cycle?
 
I guess I'm confused on how the nitrogen cycle works because I thought live rock would've provided all of the nitrifying bacteria necessary and it would've multiplied based on how much ammonia is produced by other organisms. Would getting some fritz turbo start properly start the cycle?
Just wait. A week is not long enough to cycle a tank. Patience is something you have to have to be successful in this hobby :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new